Mustang 440 kicks once with starter fluid, then dies.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MurryYurt

I've got a mid 80's mustang 440 with the Ford gas engine. We had it overhauled by a mechanic in January where it would start up no problem. Only recommendation from the mechanic was to keep on top of the fuel filter as it the gas tank was flushed out quite a few times but could still have sediment (dead mouse was found). Used it until April then it sat. Now we can't get it running. We've got a new fuel filter, all the fluids are at the right level. It'll crank forever, kick once with starter fluid then go back to cranking. A few times it kicked and ran for 5-10 seconds then went back to cranking. I'm not mechanically inclined but this damn thing has to be so close to working. Just don't know what's wrong. Spark plugs look brand new still. Fuel is flowing from the gas tank to the filter, not sure how to check if it's going to the engine from the filter. Filter is half full and doesn't look like it's flowing but maybe that's normal? Any help is appreciated.

OP
OP
M

MurryYurt

Update. We flushed the gas tank at the advice of a mechanic friend. Now we can't get the fuel filter to fill back up. The pump is working. I hate this machine

foton

why dont you try using a remote fuel tank(like a portable fuel tank like a boat would use) ,place it higher than the carb sits and let it gravity feed to see if the engine runs, if it does then you will know the issue is in fuel delivery.

Gervs

I agree with foton...and if you do find it is a fuel delivery issue.....My Bobcat 440 just started acting that way, I found that the fuel pick-up tube in the tank was cracked near top of tank which actually caused it to fall off. So it was sucking air not fuel. Don't know if it is your problem or not but I would check that and while at it all the fuel lines, and clamps for good condition.

Last edited:

Firefighter

If it is a mechanical pump you may have to put a little bit of pressure into tank to push it up to pump
pull the line off after pump and crank it to see if you have fuel coming out would definitely seem
like its not getting fuel also maybe replace fuel hoses may have a pin hole that is causing it to drain off
or not pulling a prime