Mustang 2040 Dies

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bob S

I have a Great 1996 2040. I was moving dirt and all of a sudden it died and the Brakes locked. It started right up and ran for a few minutes and did the same thing. Sometimes it would run for 1 minute and sometimes for 5 and then die. I decided that I should change the Fuel Filter of which I have not changed for awhile and it was it "Deplorable" condition. I got the filter changed and primed the engine and it started and ran for another minute or two and then died. I finally got it up to the Barn and checked everything and cannot find anything loose. I started it Sunday morning and it ran perfect for 55 minutes and died. I backed it in the barn and it died 2 more times. The machine has 1700 hours and I have had it for 4 years and has run perfectly. Any input. Thanks, Bob S

OldMachinist

If the filter had that much junk in it then I'd look at cleaning out the fuel tank. There's may be alot of stuff in there clogging the fuel pick up. To verify it's a fuel pick up problem you can hook up a fresh supply of fuel to the filter and see if it runs. I use a clean 2 liter soda bottle, just drill a hole in the cap to fit a rubber line and hook it to the fiter inlet. Another test is to put a clear piece of tubing inline before the filter and see if there are alot of air bubbles coming thru, if there are you have a crack in the pick up line.

Rookie

If the filter had that much junk in it then I'd look at cleaning out the fuel tank. There's may be alot of stuff in there clogging the fuel pick up. To verify it's a fuel pick up problem you can hook up a fresh supply of fuel to the filter and see if it runs. I use a clean 2 liter soda bottle, just drill a hole in the cap to fit a rubber line and hook it to the fiter inlet. Another test is to put a clear piece of tubing inline before the filter and see if there are alot of air bubbles coming thru, if there are you have a crack in the pick up line.
Here is a Google search on "Diesel Bugs". They do exist and they can do a lot of expensive damage to a fuel system if not abated. They can ruin fuel injection pumps and injectors. http://www.google.com/search?q=diesel+bugs&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7_____en