Muffler question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wkola

I have a 773 with turbo charger that is 56 hp. when I bought this the other owner said the muffler rotted out and he installed a straight pipe were the muffler was. is this ok or do I need to install a muffler on it to make the right power output or doesn't it make a difference. just wondering? I've been using it this way and don't seem to be any problems with the way it runs.
Thanks for any information.
Pat

cdmccul

Shouldn't make a difference in power..But you might want a spark arrestor on it, depending on the environment you work in.

OP
OP
W

wkola

I'm working in my woods clearing brush with the brush cutter that I bought for it. Does it really matter about a spark arrestor?

cdmccul

Um... Sparks can ignite anything dry...

Your mileage may vary... But I'm not going to tell you it's safe.

mrbb

YES spark arrestor make a BIG difference in safety, not to mention they will also some times help lower sound levels
after yrs of off roading I am 100% a spark arrestor shoudl be on your machine if being used in your local forest and woods,

Geo Man

Ok straight pipe vs muffler spark arrestor aside for now, basically you will gain a marginal power increase from removing a muffler. Taking into account that an engine relies on spark, fuel and air. The air component has two thing the amount of oxygen coming in an how fast the waste from the combustion (explosion) can escape and how cleanly (Without restrictions, bends twists chambers etc) without back pressure. Hence why drag cars have straight pipes, turbo prop planes don't have mufflers etc, apart from having to carry the extra weight. So in a nutshell if your machine is tuned for the freer flow then you will by rights make more power. Now being a 56 hp engine you may get an extra 3-4 % improvement, the more you free up air flow the greater the gain. Some say you'll get 5 -10 HP which is a bit of a BS statement as it doesn't take into account what your starting with.

So is the performance gain that noticeable? I'll let you decide that. Stick a muffler on if you want it to be quieter and see if there is a difference, if not at least you won't have to put up with the noise, pissing off the family and neighbors and all that to boot.

Cheers Geo.

OP
OP
W

wkola

thanks for all the replies. it doesnt seem load to me but i dont know what one should sound like with the muffler on. the guy i bought it from said it rusted out and thats why he straight piped it. seemed kind of cheap to me. so is the aftermarket muffler a good one or do i need to buy it from bobcat?
thanks as always
Pat

Geo Man

That is a personal choice,

If you are an authentic enthusiast and have deep pockets then go the original.

If you are less of a traditionalist and just want to quiet it down a bit then go after market.

All it does is make the exhaust fumes move in different directions, if it is filled with dampener material baffle or muffle the sound.

Bigger muffler more baffles quieter, potential lose of marginal power.

Measure the straight pipe twice cut once if welded or just unbolt it and whack in your new muffler.

Again it's a personal choice hope this helps and good luck.

PS don't go cheap and reuse the U Bolts, they are cheap to pick up pretty much anywhere.

Cheers

Geo.