Moving a Non-Running 287C Multi Terrain Loader

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

AlphaBob

I just purchased a non-running 2007 Caterpillar 287C, one of the C-series Multi Terrain Loaders (including 277C, 287C and 297C). The unit has a wiring harness issue so it does not run. I need to load it onto a trailer for transport and would appreciate any advice regarding how to move it for loading. I've read that the hydraulic lines can be removed from the motors and the machine can then be rolled for short distances. Is disconnecting the hydraulic lines to the motors and rolling the unit the best way to load it onto an equipment trailer with a ramp? Alternately, I'm guessing that it can be lifted with a crane, but I'm thinking that will be expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

flyerdan

Most of the time with the Bobcats, they just brute force them on and off. If everything is dry, sometimes they will use some cheap dollar store dish detergent and water to make a slippery surface to ease winching it up; less messy than using oil or grease and a bit more biodegradable.

OP
OP
A

AlphaBob

Most of the time with the Bobcats, they just brute force them on and off. If everything is dry, sometimes they will use some cheap dollar store dish detergent and water to make a slippery surface to ease winching it up; less messy than using oil or grease and a bit more biodegradable.
Thanks for the quick response - the dish detergent idea is very clever. I would not have thought of that! I'll post pictures of whatever I wind up doing - still thinking about using a crane, but haven't got a price yet.

OP
OP
A

AlphaBob

I might have answered my own question - reading through other posts is sounds like the cover can be removed from the drive motors (big snap ring pliers & slide hammer) and the "sun" gear pulled out. I put a picture in my photo album (AlphaBob Photos). Can someone verify that #43 is the "sun gear"? Related, if #43 in the picture can be pulled out, what prevents it from walking out during operation? Doesn't seem sensical that it rides on the inside of the cover.

flyerdan

I might have answered my own question - reading through other posts is sounds like the cover can be removed from the drive motors (big snap ring pliers & slide hammer) and the "sun" gear pulled out. I put a picture in my photo album (AlphaBob Photos). Can someone verify that #43 is the "sun gear"? Related, if #43 in the picture can be pulled out, what prevents it from walking out during operation? Doesn't seem sensical that it rides on the inside of the cover.
There should be a manual for this in the Cat section. That should help in figuring out how things go together.

OP
OP
A

AlphaBob

So I just picked up my Caterpillar 287C last Wednesday (2/17/2022) and after considering all options I must confess that I "cheated" - rented a crane and picked up the unit and set it exactly where I wanted on my gooseneck trailer!

IMG_9740.jpeg

IMG_9744.jpeg

OP
OP
A

AlphaBob

I've uploaded three short video clips from loading my Caterpillar 287C onto my gooseneck trailer onto Rumble.com (a YouTube competitor). Here are the links:

First Video:

Second Video:

Third Video:

foton

i would say that is not cheating that is smart but how you gonna get it off? are you gonna move the crane to off it?

OP
OP
A

AlphaBob

i would say that is not cheating that is smart but how you gonna get it off? are you gonna move the crane to off it?
I own the trailer and the plan is to repair it on the trailer and drive it off. Worst case, I'll rent another crane - I pulled it about 350 miles home.

I plan to post a video assessment and some interim reports.

OP
OP
A

AlphaBob

Two years and one month later (after purchasing the non-running unit) - finally running. This short video was taken Saturday 2/17/2024. New: fuel tank, engine wiring harness, chassis wiring harness, rebuilt Cat alternator, rebuilt Cat starter and a whole bunch of small odds and ends. Runs great and I'm thrilled!

Last edited:

Robanybody

The dishwashing liquid works great. We did it with a Ferrari that was locked up on a city street in West L.A. I was just one of the people stuck in the jam. I took the rollback driver off to the side and told him about the wonders of Dawn and he got the thing pulled on without any extra damage. I guess the transaxle just locked up at a signal and skidded sideways across two lanes.