Mounting 743 tires on rims by hand

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jp8775

Has anyone tried to change tires on a 743 by hand with tire irons? Its gotten up to $40-60 per tire to mount just one now. Also I have one bad rim (hole rusted in it) how do you know if you are buying the right rim? I see them on line used but not sure they have right set back ect?

Wayne440

I have not changed a 743 tire, but have changed similar tires in the past with tire irons and hammer. It is certainly possible; but after you do one or two that way, "$40-60" might begin to seem like a reasonable price to watch someone else deal with it.

Measure your existing wheel to determine what backspacing and width you need. If the seller can or will not verify the wheel width and backspacing, find another source.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

I used my log splitter to break the bead. Not as bad as I thought make sure you stand on the opposite of the tire irons and push the tire down into the center other wise you will never get the bead to roll over the rim. Thanks for giving me the support to even try it.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

My splitter blade is blunt but if you were worried you could put put a piece steel on the tire. I am thinking about making a cap that fits over the blade that is flat.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

I also found that having a portable hydraulic cylinder with a clam shell on the end of the hose really helps. Use it to separate the tire bead of the rim. These beads are really strong. Also I use a grinder with a flex disc to smooth out the rim if rusted and coat it with spray Flex seal. I then put the rim back on the bobcat with 3 nuts to remove the tire and to reinstall the tire, it holds it so you do not need a second person. Hope this helps some one!

onepoket

I did mine completely by hand, I found using a ratchet strap around the tire help me get the bead seated. Also I used a lot of dish soap to slick up the rubber to get it on. It was a fair bit of work, but I only had to put mine on. I bought new rims and tires because the original set on the machine were DIY foam filled, completely bald and not coming off the rims ever.

BG Scapes

I used a large sledge hammer to break the bead . Wheel bearing grease to seal the bead on a tubeless one . Not as bad as it looks .

ghs57

I think I only had tires mounted one time. It's been by hand ever since. I have tubes in my tires due to rusty bead areas on most of the rims. I also seem to have a lot of punctures due to sharp objects (nails or steel objects of some kind). Breaking the bead with a sledge, or even driving another vehicle over the edge of the tire, or just running flat for a short distance will usually do it. I have two irons, but more would be better-long handles are best. A spray bottle with soapy water is helpful. If you have tubes, you have to be very careful not to pinch the tube between the iron and the rim, or anything else for that matter.

I'm not going to say it's easy, but there is a knack to doing it. When mounting, you have to learn how to work the tire into the right spot in recess on the rim, otherwise you will be in a loosing fight with a very stiff tire. Irons can also damage the bead if you don't have it lined up right and you try to force the tire on the rim. Watch some videos. the will help you get the right idea.

foton

if you are gonna do this by hand I would be think twice before you purchase severe duty tires if you are thinking about it, regular ones would be bad enough to do.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

I just did SD bobcat tires. Not that bad, warm the bead up with a heat gun. The bead on a bobcat rim is less than a 1/2" tall. Must get the opposite side of the tire in the center of the wheel by pushing it down. I put the tires in the sun in the summer time. Need to do this indoors in the winter could never do this by hand in the winter. If you do not want to mount the tires back up have a tire shop do it, but I just cleaned up two rims and sealed them with rust preventative paint so I know the rims are not going to rust away. That will really cost you to have the tire shop do that. Also they wont charge as much if they only have to mount the tire only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jp8775

Drive motor 732 leaking into chain case? When the motor is running the right rear axle leaks oil out the seal shut off the motor and it stops. There is some weeping small but wet at the motor where it bolts thew the case. Two question I am thinking the seal on the shaft on the drive motor is leaking into the chain case. It looks like you just need to remove the hoses and the the 4 bolts and it unplugs from the case correct.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

I just purchased 5 decent 10-16.5 wheels and rims. No rust tire half good. They have all been sitting out side on their side and sounds like there is a little water in all them except one. The inside of the rims are still orange no rust all tubeless. Also got one new 10 16.5 in the deal. Any one have a trick other that taking one side of the bead off to get the water out?

little_fellow

I just purchased 5 decent 10-16.5 wheels and rims. No rust tire half good. They have all been sitting out side on their side and sounds like there is a little water in all them except one. The inside of the rims are still orange no rust all tubeless. Also got one new 10 16.5 in the deal. Any one have a trick other that taking one side of the bead off to get the water out?
Might not be water inside . It could be a liquid calcium used to give the machine more weight for traction.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

I tasted it and it is just water and just enough to hear if you are close. Must be just a cup or so. I dont want to leave it in there to rust out the rims.

little_fellow

I tasted it and it is just water and just enough to hear if you are close. Must be just a cup or so. I dont want to leave it in there to rust out the rims.
I wonder if you could take the valve stem off and get a straw of some kind through there to siphon it out.

koko

How about if you make some sort of stand that will hold the wheel with the valve stem exactly at the lowest point, take out the valve, apply air & when you remove the chuck the air & water mist will expel. Do it a few times & it should be good. Not all air chucks will fill air when the stem is removed. Maybe when done break the bead & pour a cup of rubbing alcohol inside, swish it around & do the same thing over again. Leave them lying in the sun to dry completely. Just my thoughts!

foton

you could add anti - freeze into the tires , our co-op puts that stuff in tractor tires for more traction. it will not rot your rims out like the old calcium treatments. that will make the water just a part of the solution .

OP
OP
J

jp8775

That is a great idea, I did find out that if you lay the tire on its side with the bead broken but not off the rim it is the lowest spot and water does run out. Flipping the tire a few times speeds it up. But I was worried the rim is still wet, but adding antifreeze a cup or two would inhibit the rust and also seal the bead I have used antifreeze as a bead sealer for years. I buy and sell bobcats 743's is why I have all those questions. I have 4 right now. These are don't want's usually don't run but I get them for a few grand and could just part them out and be ahead. I run into all problems and this forum is amazing and helps me soooo much. I hope you guys do not get bored with me.

Last edited:

Latest posts