Melroe 500 steering issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Slick1951

I've adjusted clutches, checked hydraulic fluid level but, still does not turn the way it should. The clutches look good. I'M going to check the clutch thrust bearings and to see if I have full thread contact between actuating threads and actuating nuts. I hope these parts are available if they are worn. Is there any thing else I need to check? Thanks for everyone's reply, Terry.

foton

I am hoping for a response to your question also I have a 500 . I have never used a old model like this,( it was a get it out of the driveway gift) everything I have used has had hydraulic motors so I do not know how the clutches are supposed to feel like, I mean it moves and turns but it seems to me like I have to use to much lever pressure to get it to do what I want. I have read that if you take the clutches out they are supposed to have grooves in them to let them push the oil off and grab, when they get slick the oil does not get pushed off and more pressure is required and then the thrust bearings get worn out because of excess steering pressure. hope someone smart chimes in soon!

OP
OP
S

Slick1951

I am hoping for a response to your question also I have a 500 . I have never used a old model like this,( it was a get it out of the driveway gift) everything I have used has had hydraulic motors so I do not know how the clutches are supposed to feel like, I mean it moves and turns but it seems to me like I have to use to much lever pressure to get it to do what I want. I have read that if you take the clutches out they are supposed to have grooves in them to let them push the oil off and grab, when they get slick the oil does not get pushed off and more pressure is required and then the thrust bearings get worn out because of excess steering pressure. hope someone smart chimes in soon!
Thanks foton for the reply . Just received new clutches yesterday. I hope to put them in soon and check all the steering components. Will post results when I'm done.

foton

Thanks foton for the reply . Just received new clutches yesterday. I hope to put them in soon and check all the steering components. Will post results when I'm done.
ok I do not know if you have one but I bought the shop manual on cd off ebay so if you do not have it maybe I can check out questions that you might have when you get in it. I was told by a bobcat mech. that it is obvious when you open them up , I was told be careful with the needle bearings they are in cages but must be positioned back right. He also said that if it has had oil at the right levels in the past the bearings ( needle and thrust) should be good.

alchemysa

ok I do not know if you have one but I bought the shop manual on cd off ebay so if you do not have it maybe I can check out questions that you might have when you get in it. I was told by a bobcat mech. that it is obvious when you open them up , I was told be careful with the needle bearings they are in cages but must be positioned back right. He also said that if it has had oil at the right levels in the past the bearings ( needle and thrust) should be good.
Guys, message me for some good advice on this...
[email protected]