McLaren tracks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RockingH

Im looking at getting a set of tracks for my Bobcat 773 to work in some mud. So far the set that I have been looking at is the mclaren protracks. I will need high flotation and traction combined. Can any of you offer experance to this. What is the best brand for these requirements? Thanks

skidsteer.ca

Well I'm biased, I'm a dealer for www.tracksplus.com but for floatation in mud our tracks have the benifit of not being overly heavy.
A set for you 773 weights @ 450lbs. we also have a shoe with alot of area, which helps keep you up.
They are constucted from a vary hard steel, so they don't require the extra 400 lbs to make them strong enough. I have over 400 hours on my personal set, and guaging pin and track wear, I will see in excess of 1000 hours for a track that is 1/2 the price of some.
The reduced weight also make them a lot nice to install and remove. Think about pull the ends of 500 lbs of steel together on top of you tires and getting the bolts in, in a mud hole if you have a flat.
My .02
Ken
www.skidsteer.ca

OP
OP
R

RockingH

Well I'm biased, I'm a dealer for www.tracksplus.com but for floatation in mud our tracks have the benifit of not being overly heavy.
A set for you 773 weights @ 450lbs. we also have a shoe with alot of area, which helps keep you up.
They are constucted from a vary hard steel, so they don't require the extra 400 lbs to make them strong enough. I have over 400 hours on my personal set, and guaging pin and track wear, I will see in excess of 1000 hours for a track that is 1/2 the price of some.
The reduced weight also make them a lot nice to install and remove. Think about pull the ends of 500 lbs of steel together on top of you tires and getting the bolts in, in a mud hole if you have a flat.
My .02
Ken
www.skidsteer.ca
Ken, Are yalls tracks re-buildable? I will be working in drilling mud, it is very slick, and can be deep at times. How does your tracks do for flotation? and for traction in slick mud? I will be putting lots of hours on them, up to 80 hours a week, so i will need some that have replaceable links and pads. Thanks Shawn

skidsteer.ca

Ken, Are yalls tracks re-buildable? I will be working in drilling mud, it is very slick, and can be deep at times. How does your tracks do for flotation? and for traction in slick mud? I will be putting lots of hours on them, up to 80 hours a week, so i will need some that have replaceable links and pads. Thanks Shawn
Yes fully, there are only 4 parts,
Shoes, side links and pivot bolt and locknut. With two 3/4" wrenches you can completely disassemble every piece.
As far as traction, I think they would bite as good as any other brand on any surface except ice or snow. Mind you most steel tracks are like skates in the snow and ice.
As far as mud goes it is far more common to have problems with the tires spinning inside the tracks, and if you work in greasy conditions it helps greatly to run the tracks on the snug side of the recommended tension.
I bought my first sets of tracks extra long so I would have spare parts should anyone need them but they are still collecting dust in on the shelf, However if you are worried about down time, I'd recommend that just in case and its cheaper than buying spares as "parts"
Ken

Skid Steer Solutions

We sell McLarens and 2Plus. There is definately a difference between the tracks different abilities. You have to look at what you are going to do with them. If you are just doing light landscaping around your own property, then 2Plus is the way to go. If you are a heavy commercial user, then go for Protracs. They are far more aggressive and provide much better traction in tough conditions. I have put a season on each type and prefer each type for different uses. Tracksplus tracks are NOT rebuildable. Yes you can change a link, but the track plate is still worn. Protrac Magnums allow you to change the bushing, link and even the pad.

skidsteer.ca

We sell McLarens and 2Plus. There is definately a difference between the tracks different abilities. You have to look at what you are going to do with them. If you are just doing light landscaping around your own property, then 2Plus is the way to go. If you are a heavy commercial user, then go for Protracs. They are far more aggressive and provide much better traction in tough conditions. I have put a season on each type and prefer each type for different uses. Tracksplus tracks are NOT rebuildable. Yes you can change a link, but the track plate is still worn. Protrac Magnums allow you to change the bushing, link and even the pad.
The "tracks plus" or "2 plus" tracks allow for any of the 3 parts to be replaced So in that sence they are rebuildable. If you manage to break a part you can change it out with 2 3/4" wrenches. However if you wear all the pads thin and they begin to break then they are worn out and if you replace all the worn parts you have just bought a new track, you have not rebuilt them.
The McLaren tracks have 4 parts, to fully rebuild them you must change 3 out of the 4 pieces. So in that sence they can be rebuilt because one part does not wear. But if you consider the cost of buying 75% or the parts new and labour to fully dismantel clean and reassemble them, it may not be worth the trouble.
They likely do provide more traction on solid surfaces because the add more weight to your machine, which will result in more traction or pushing power. In mud this extra weight will just make you sink deeper though.
Ken

mclarenusa.com

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to say that Skid Steer Solutions is correct about our Protracs.
Our track sections are connected together by dog bone shaped links, carriage bolt, lock washer and a nut. Our Protrac Rubber / Magnum pads have bolts that protrude out from them and is held in place on 4 corners on the pad. Furthermore the Rubber and the Magnum pads are interchangeable so you can switch from a Protrac Rubber to a Protrac Magnum by switching out the pads. And yes all parts are replaceable.
Hope this helps!
www.mclarenusa.com