main return line in belly of 665

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jerry

I am removing the hyd line that goes from cooler to control valves on a lx 665 , I have radiator off but cannot get the ell shaped fitting off the cooler , any help would be appreciated muchly.

Tractormech

I assume the line has the 90 degree fitting crimped on it and there's a fitting in the cooler that's part of the cooler but there's a hex on it so you can back it up while tightening line up to it. Get an air chisel with a pointed bit and put it on the back edge of the nut on the hydraulic line and put the backup wrench on the cooler fitting. Hit the air hammer to drive the fitting counter clockwise. It'll break loose for you. That vibration will move the world. That line may be a pill to get out as a lot of them run through the cross member in the frame under the motor. Look close and see what you have. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jerry

I assume the line has the 90 degree fitting crimped on it and there's a fitting in the cooler that's part of the cooler but there's a hex on it so you can back it up while tightening line up to it. Get an air chisel with a pointed bit and put it on the back edge of the nut on the hydraulic line and put the backup wrench on the cooler fitting. Hit the air hammer to drive the fitting counter clockwise. It'll break loose for you. That vibration will move the world. That line may be a pill to get out as a lot of them run through the cross member in the frame under the motor. Look close and see what you have. Good luck!
Thank you for the reply, I got the line off the cooler ,just was very tight. i cut the hose at the 90 and pulled it out forward, At this point it looks like I will either have to lower the fuel tank or tilt the cab to get the new one in. I know some have gone over the crossmenber with it but that looks iffy also. Fuel tank mounting bolt in the front has not been located yet either. Problem was caused by previous owner not replacing the cover over the belly pan holes and age of hose. At least it is off the cooler without any damage so onward we go.

Tractormech

Thank you for the reply, I got the line off the cooler ,just was very tight. i cut the hose at the 90 and pulled it out forward, At this point it looks like I will either have to lower the fuel tank or tilt the cab to get the new one in. I know some have gone over the crossmenber with it but that looks iffy also. Fuel tank mounting bolt in the front has not been located yet either. Problem was caused by previous owner not replacing the cover over the belly pan holes and age of hose. At least it is off the cooler without any damage so onward we go.
Glad you got it off. it's not user friendly to replace.

OP
OP
J

jerry

Well, things took a turn for the worse , got new hose in started up ,big oil leak from fitting on cooler. It was crossthreaded, too many cooks in the kitchen . Now i need another hose but also need to know if fitting on cooler can be replaced. I am guessing it is silver soldered in.

Tractormech

Well, things took a turn for the worse , got new hose in started up ,big oil leak from fitting on cooler. It was crossthreaded, too many cooks in the kitchen . Now i need another hose but also need to know if fitting on cooler can be replaced. I am guessing it is silver soldered in.
A good radiator shop can replace the fitting if need be. Did you cross thread the line onto the fitting or is the fitting cracked on the cooler? I believe that's a JIC fitting so the taper is where it seals. You might be able to get a thread file and straighten up the threads and salvage it that way but I'm figuring the fitting is cracked by the way you said how tight is was on there when you started. Whatever comes of it put some never seez on the threads when you put it back together.

Tazza

Staff member
A good radiator shop can replace the fitting if need be. Did you cross thread the line onto the fitting or is the fitting cracked on the cooler? I believe that's a JIC fitting so the taper is where it seals. You might be able to get a thread file and straighten up the threads and salvage it that way but I'm figuring the fitting is cracked by the way you said how tight is was on there when you started. Whatever comes of it put some never seez on the threads when you put it back together.
As long as the sealing face of the fitting is good, i have had success using a thread file or a hack saw, cutting the cross threaded part of the threads off so the fitting will seat correctly. Hard to explain, but just chase the actual threads with the file or saw blade, when you have enough done, screw a fitting down on it to re-form the threads.
The suggestion of thread locker isn't a bad idea, mainly put it on the sealing face, the threads them selves don't create the seal.

OP
OP
J

jerry

As long as the sealing face of the fitting is good, i have had success using a thread file or a hack saw, cutting the cross threaded part of the threads off so the fitting will seat correctly. Hard to explain, but just chase the actual threads with the file or saw blade, when you have enough done, screw a fitting down on it to re-form the threads.
The suggestion of thread locker isn't a bad idea, mainly put it on the sealing face, the threads them selves don't create the seal.
Sorry,about the delay in answering. I did manage to save the cooler fitting using a knife shaped thread file and then took a female jic cap and cut three slots in it so it worked as a crude die to reshape the thread. Thanks for alll the suggestions and help. Amazing how fast that broken hose could dump 4 gallons of oil on the driveway though. S