M600 won't idle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

fatjay

It's full throttle all the time. If I reduce the thottle, it dies. It's the wisconsin v4 gas engine. Any suggestions?

flyerdan

If it won't idle (and is probably hard to start as well) the culprit is likely some crystalline buildup in one of the main jet passages. I just had to do that on a lawnmower a few days ago, I use a tip cleaner for a torch and compressed air. Depending on how good you are at seeing tiny things, a set of those Harbor Freight magnifying visors is really handy for this.

foton

If it won't idle (and is probably hard to start as well) the culprit is likely some crystalline buildup in one of the main jet passages. I just had to do that on a lawnmower a few days ago, I use a tip cleaner for a torch and compressed air. Depending on how good you are at seeing tiny things, a set of those Harbor Freight magnifying visors is really handy for this.
if you can check your fuel pump pressure and check for vacuum leaks, if you fuel pump pressure is low check your engine oil to make sure gas has not gotten in there. is the engine running on all 4 cylinders?

OP
OP
F

fatjay

if you can check your fuel pump pressure and check for vacuum leaks, if you fuel pump pressure is low check your engine oil to make sure gas has not gotten in there. is the engine running on all 4 cylinders?
It's hard to start, but when it starts it runs like a top, full power at full throttle. No misses at all.

Oil while in need of a change is free of gas. I'm going to replace all the fuel lines tonight and install a T for fuel pressure while I'm in there. Hoses aren't the greatest but I definitely don't see any leaks. Haven't taken the fuel pump apart yet.

OP
OP
F

fatjay

It's hard to start, but when it starts it runs like a top, full power at full throttle. No misses at all.

Oil while in need of a change is free of gas. I'm going to replace all the fuel lines tonight and install a T for fuel pressure while I'm in there. Hoses aren't the greatest but I definitely don't see any leaks. Haven't taken the fuel pump apart yet.
Replaced all the fuel lines and installed fuel pressure gauge. 1.5-2psi and the cant seem to get all the air out of the new filter. Ran it for a good 10 minutes. Maybe time for an electric fuel pump.

OP
OP
F

fatjay

Replaced all the fuel lines and installed fuel pressure gauge. 1.5-2psi and the cant seem to get all the air out of the new filter. Ran it for a good 10 minutes. Maybe time for an electric fuel pump.
Runs flawlessly. All fixed up. Also reconnected the crankcase filter with new hose. One of the jets was clogged.

9FidfUhh.jpg

tZh61krh.jpg

ZAyysZUh.jpg

foton

Runs flawlessly. All fixed up. Also reconnected the crankcase filter with new hose. One of the jets was clogged.
that is great that you got it figured out, but by the look at the carb , I would say you need better fuel filtration. and the 2 psi fuel pressure is fine. But so you know I have a bobcat model 500 someone converted to a Wisconsin 18 hp inline 2 cylinder and I use a low pressure electric pump (2-4.5 psi) with a carb. very similar to the one you have with no problems with flooding.

OP
OP
F

fatjay

that is great that you got it figured out, but by the look at the carb , I would say you need better fuel filtration. and the 2 psi fuel pressure is fine. But so you know I have a bobcat model 500 someone converted to a Wisconsin 18 hp inline 2 cylinder and I use a low pressure electric pump (2-4.5 psi) with a carb. very similar to the one you have with no problems with flooding.
Yup, that was first on the list. I don't think the issue is bad fuel though, i think it was water. It was left outside uncovered for years and years from the looks of it, anything unpainted is rusted pretty bad. I think it got water in the carb somehow, or at least quite a bit of moisture. I replaced all the lines/hoses and put in a new fuel filter and drained and changed the gas.