M500 hydraulic pressure

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rwirtzfeld

How do you check and adjust the hydraulic pressure on a M500? I have three stock gauges on my machine, two are high pressure guages (up to about 2500 psi) the other is lower (I believe below 200 psi). The only one that reads pressure at all is the low pressure one? Don't know if I have bad gauges or what? Bucket doesn't lift all the way up and sometimes takes awhile to lift at all? Thanks, Randy

Tazza

Staff member
The high pressure gauge if i understand how its hooked up will only show something when you have a load on the system. Dead end a cylinder and see if that reading jumps up as i believe it should be for your main hydraulic pressure to the lift and tilt functions.
If its hydrostatic drive, the reading on the 200 PSI one will be your charge pressure.

OP
OP
R

rwirtzfeld

The high pressure gauge if i understand how its hooked up will only show something when you have a load on the system. Dead end a cylinder and see if that reading jumps up as i believe it should be for your main hydraulic pressure to the lift and tilt functions.
If its hydrostatic drive, the reading on the 200 PSI one will be your charge pressure.
Could I just plumb a gauge in at the boom lift and see what the pressure is there? What should operating pressure be? Would I be best off to have a tee arrangement, so fluid is still supplied to the cylinder or should I dead head the line?

Tazza

Staff member
Could I just plumb a gauge in at the boom lift and see what the pressure is there? What should operating pressure be? Would I be best off to have a tee arrangement, so fluid is still supplied to the cylinder or should I dead head the line?
The easiest way to check the main hydraulic pressure is through your aux. hydraulics quick couplers. The pressure should be about 2,250 PSI

OP
OP
R

rwirtzfeld

You can plug into a hose on the lift or tilt ram i guess, it will give the same result, just a little more messy.
I plugged both extension supply lines to my lift cylinders with a gauge on one, and got 1900 psi. Does that sound about right?

skidsteer.ca

I plugged both extension supply lines to my lift cylinders with a gauge on one, and got 1900 psi. Does that sound about right?
Close I'd guess, some of the older machines run at lower relief maximum pressure. This is simple to adjust buy turn a screw on the valve.
When does the machine not lift all the way up?, when it has a bucket full of dirt?
Ken

OP
OP
R

rwirtzfeld

Close I'd guess, some of the older machines run at lower relief maximum pressure. This is simple to adjust buy turn a screw on the valve.
When does the machine not lift all the way up?, when it has a bucket full of dirt?
Ken
I actually adjusted the main relief a little, to increase pressure, just to see if it( the bucket lift) improved. However, I have no idea what it is suppose to be(hydraulic spec), my dealer only could get me a manual for a 610, so I don't know the spec. on the pressure for the old M500. The adjustment to the relief on the M500, is shimming the spring internally, on the relief valve, there is no screw to turn. Anyway, I just use this machine for snow removal, and just recently got done repowering it. The bucket doesn't lift all the way up sometimes even when empty, however its hit or miss, seems like the temperature outside affects it also. I wanted to confirm the hydraulic pressure and then move on to check for "bind" in my pivot points. My last guess would be the lift cylinders need a rebuild?

skidsteer.ca

I actually adjusted the main relief a little, to increase pressure, just to see if it( the bucket lift) improved. However, I have no idea what it is suppose to be(hydraulic spec), my dealer only could get me a manual for a 610, so I don't know the spec. on the pressure for the old M500. The adjustment to the relief on the M500, is shimming the spring internally, on the relief valve, there is no screw to turn. Anyway, I just use this machine for snow removal, and just recently got done repowering it. The bucket doesn't lift all the way up sometimes even when empty, however its hit or miss, seems like the temperature outside affects it also. I wanted to confirm the hydraulic pressure and then move on to check for "bind" in my pivot points. My last guess would be the lift cylinders need a rebuild?
Unhook you lift cylinder hoses and put air pressure in one side, see if it leaks out the other to test the piston seals. If they are poly packed the leak can be intermittant. Do the tend to leak down or not?
Ken

OP
OP
R

rwirtzfeld

Unhook you lift cylinder hoses and put air pressure in one side, see if it leaks out the other to test the piston seals. If they are poly packed the leak can be intermittant. Do the tend to leak down or not?
Ken
I'll try your test on the cylinders to see if they are leaking by the piston seals. I can't say if they leak down, I don't leave the bucket up in the air very long, but I can test that also. Busy until after Christmas now, but thanks for the ideas. I try that when I get time.