LX865 starter turns Hydro pump, but not engine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JHoward

LX865 skid loader was at idle and engine died. When I attempted a restart, the starter spins fast and doesn't sound like it engages engine..... as if a bendix isn't kicking into flywheel, but i was able to raise the boom using the starter. Looking at parts diagram I don't see how the hydro pump would turn with the starter and not the flywheel. Maybe a hard failure of something? Where should I start troubleshooting?

foton

you have to be turning the flywheel to turn the crank to turn the pump, just as a guess I would say your engine is out of time so you have no compression ,does your engine have a timing belt?

OP
OP
J

JHoward

I believe the LX865 engine is timing gears. It's very strange to get the starter to turn the pump and the crank does not turn engine over. No crankshaft turning at back of engine when starter spins....

JACO

IF YOUR HYD. IS WORKING, FLYWHEEL IS TURNING AND YOUR FAN ISN'T I'D SAY YOUR CRANK HAS SNAPPED !

OP
OP
J

JHoward

IF YOUR HYD. IS WORKING, FLYWHEEL IS TURNING AND YOUR FAN ISN'T I'D SAY YOUR CRANK HAS SNAPPED !
Seems to be the case....strange. Im trying to think of how to verify this before pulling engine all the way out to pull the pan.

elmouca

LX865 skid loader was at idle and engine died. When I attempted a restart, the starter spins fast and doesn't sound like it engages engine..... as if a bendix isn't kicking into flywheel, but i was able to raise the boom using the starter. Looking at parts diagram I don't see how the hydro pump would turn with the starter and not the flywheel. Maybe a hard failure of something? Where should I start troubleshooting?
Perhaps the crankshaft isn't broken and the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft have sheared off?

OP
OP
J

JHoward

Perhaps the crankshaft isn't broken and the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft have sheared off?
I haven't pulled engine yet, but preliminary sure looks odd, like a broken crank. The flywheel turns with starter and hydro pumps turn. I'm going to pull it and pull the pan. I will post when I find the issue

OP
OP
J

JHoward

finally got back on this. pulled the pan to have a look, nothing abnormal can turn the crank with wrench on fan end, pulled inspection cover for flyweel and that looks normal. need to pull the engine.

question:

best way to pull engine to get at flywheel? should I unhook plumbing to pumps and pull them with the engine? or separate the engine from the bellhousing and leave the pumps?

OP
OP
J

JHoward

engine turns over by hand very free, 2 of the 6 bolts were broken in 2 places and by the corrosion on the broken end they've been that way some time. It's an odd one. Got broken bolts out of crank and ordered new.

OP
OP
J

JHoward

Anyone have a torque chart for New Holland LX865 engine? 9/16 flywheel bolts and the 3/8 bolts attaching gear to flywheel. Also wondering what everyone is using for sealant around the bell housing to cover? This section runs full of oil for the pump gears

Ivan

Anyone have a torque chart for New Holland LX865 engine? 9/16 flywheel bolts and the 3/8 bolts attaching gear to flywheel. Also wondering what everyone is using for sealant around the bell housing to cover? This section runs full of oil for the pump gears
Was there a gasket on there or was it permatex. I would look at the parts diagram and see if NH makes a paper gasket and if so get it.

foton

you never know bolts may been to harded to the point they were brittle, ford is having that issue with exaust valves in some engines now, I heard of a failure at 1500 miles. you know with everything on these machine being fluid powered things do not come to a quick stop as when heavy clutchs were used. so bolts getting sheared is a little puzzling.

Ivan

you never know bolts may been to harded to the point they were brittle, ford is having that issue with exaust valves in some engines now, I heard of a failure at 1500 miles. you know with everything on these machine being fluid powered things do not come to a quick stop as when heavy clutchs were used. so bolts getting sheared is a little puzzling.
Could be some of those good ones from China. I bought a new White tractor and at around 200 hours it sheared all the bolts off the front ring gear. Then again at around 500 same thing. This time I repaired it and had t he bolts tested at work`. They were to soft. One of the engineers did some foot work for me and got the right bolts which I then put in MACHINE AND DR ILLED THEM FOR LACING WIRE. These bolts were still in it 30 years later. Funny thing is a recall was issued several years aftr I did this for bad bolts

Shanmar

Make sure you look at the teeth on the gears driving the hydro pumps in there. I had an LX885 broke a tooth off one of those gears, jammed in the gears and then the crankshaft broke like you initially feared.
Black RTV sealant will be fine there.