lx865 start problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gixxer22

Hi new to the forum, recently got my first skid steer NH lx865 and trying to iron out problems, started fine when bought it, 2 days later it would start after clicking key off and on a bunch of times, now i have to jump starter, it doesnt actuat the start relay, changed start relay and interlock relay.I believe it might be the ballast resistor. iv got 12v going in 1volt coming out, Ball. res. goes straight to feed the start relay. If i use jumper from across BR it will start, Can someone check there exit voltage on ballast res. thanks Randy

Mike10

If you are talking about the resistor in the engine compartment fuse panel, the something is wired wrong. Power comes from the ACC terminal of the key switch and goes to one terminal of the resistor. On that terminal is also wires which go to the various small relays in that compartment, depending on equipment, but not the start relay......The other terminal on the resistor goes to the alternator. There should be 50ohm resistance in the resistor............With the KEY OFF, sit in the seat while watching the instrument panel. The panel should light up and go through a self test. After the self test there should be two lings flashing, park and seat belt. Fasten the seat belt and the seat belt light should go out. If all this checks out then the safety circuit should be working. If the foot pedal are free and not locked with the key off, or the seat belt off, then someone has bypassed the safety circuit and made you loader dangerous.

OP
OP
G

gixxer22

If you are talking about the resistor in the engine compartment fuse panel, the something is wired wrong. Power comes from the ACC terminal of the key switch and goes to one terminal of the resistor. On that terminal is also wires which go to the various small relays in that compartment, depending on equipment, but not the start relay......The other terminal on the resistor goes to the alternator. There should be 50ohm resistance in the resistor............With the KEY OFF, sit in the seat while watching the instrument panel. The panel should light up and go through a self test. After the self test there should be two lings flashing, park and seat belt. Fasten the seat belt and the seat belt light should go out. If all this checks out then the safety circuit should be working. If the foot pedal are free and not locked with the key off, or the seat belt off, then someone has bypassed the safety circuit and made you loader dangerous.
Unfortunately the rig has been rewired no seat or belt alarm just sitting in seat will not turn on panel, it doesnt run thru a self check, service run switch does nothing, foot pedals will not lock, I turn on the key panel icons all light, buzzes then goes to 1 icon and then i start it, I realize this is not the way it was intended to work but it is what i have, The last owner is 0 help, I just want to get it to start like it did for the first 2 days, Some will say i have to put it back to original, not gonna happen,the expenditure of time would be excessive,and who knows why they rerouted wires, and theres an added relay in fuse panel? I will check that ballast res. routing again ,but the res,output side is the same color as one of the wires going into st relay ,left relay,

Mike10

Unfortunately the rig has been rewired no seat or belt alarm just sitting in seat will not turn on panel, it doesnt run thru a self check, service run switch does nothing, foot pedals will not lock, I turn on the key panel icons all light, buzzes then goes to 1 icon and then i start it, I realize this is not the way it was intended to work but it is what i have, The last owner is 0 help, I just want to get it to start like it did for the first 2 days, Some will say i have to put it back to original, not gonna happen,the expenditure of time would be excessive,and who knows why they rerouted wires, and theres an added relay in fuse panel? I will check that ballast res. routing again ,but the res,output side is the same color as one of the wires going into st relay ,left relay,
My guess is it was being run in the service position with the pedal selonoids either hot wired or the pins ground away. Since this is a safety issue, I won't be able to help you as the loader is configured now.

tech.35058

Your 865 sounds a bit like mine. There should be a couple of "solenoids" (looked like a temperature switch till i disassembled the valve ) on the front end of the hydraulic control valve. If the control pedal (s) is/are locked, that is the first thing to check.wiring gets a bit tedious. Also, mine has a couple of pressure switches under the seat to lock the hydraulics & prevent starting if the operator is not in the seat with the seat belt buckled. If your seat belt is missing or damaged, i encourage you to get one. A friend whom owns/operates skidsteers spent 30 min or so explaining all the ways these machines will hurt us when i first got mine. I urge you to make safety your first priority. Do you have a service manual or wiring diagram? CE