Lx665 starter AGAIN

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sgf

Geez this is getting frustrating, and expensive. After years of no issues a few years back my starter would run on after the key was turned off. Finally the starter failed. I got advice here and ultimately I had the starter replaced. After a year or two the starter stopped working. In that time it likely only started the machine seven or eight times as I use it infrequently. Ultimately my New Holland dealer found the starter bad and replaced it again. After using it maybe four times I went to start it the other day. The starter ran and when the skid steer started the starter would not turn off for about 30 seconds. Three or four follow-up attempts resulted in the starter doing the same thing except for a shorter time and this time no attempt for the engine to start. I thought paying for the NH tech. would finally get this sorted out but here I am again. Since my ignition switch was worn and allows the key to fall out I ordered one. I will install the new one and try again but I am not optimistic at this point.

foton

if the starter is not powered the flywheel will in design upon engine start throw the starter gear off the ring gear. So I think you have something failing to turn off power to the starter which keeps it engaged , which could be the starter switch or if there is a seperate starter relay hanging up . off hand I do not know of anything else, if the wiring is correct. good luck

flyerdan

if the starter is not powered the flywheel will in design upon engine start throw the starter gear off the ring gear. So I think you have something failing to turn off power to the starter which keeps it engaged , which could be the starter switch or if there is a seperate starter relay hanging up . off hand I do not know of anything else, if the wiring is correct. good luck
The switch issue should be easy to trouble shoot, just put a light tester between the small wire off the starter and ground - the light should go on and off with the key turned to start.
You don't say specifically, but I'm assuming that when you say it runs on that the gear is engaged with the flywheel? That could be from the bendix not returning due to misalignment or being crudded up. Normally they're flung out due to inertia to engage the flywheel, and, as foton points out, the rotation of the flywheel and spring tension retracts it.
Or, it could be lever engaged by the same solenoid plunger that applies battery voltage to the motor, knowing which type will determine where to go if it's not electrical. Hopefully the switch replacement will cure it, but it's been my experience that when a switch fails it doesn't make contact anymore, not fail to release, but if it's gummed up and the springs are weak that could happen.

OP
OP
S

sgf

The switch issue should be easy to trouble shoot, just put a light tester between the small wire off the starter and ground - the light should go on and off with the key turned to start.
You don't say specifically, but I'm assuming that when you say it runs on that the gear is engaged with the flywheel? That could be from the bendix not returning due to misalignment or being crudded up. Normally they're flung out due to inertia to engage the flywheel, and, as foton points out, the rotation of the flywheel and spring tension retracts it.
Or, it could be lever engaged by the same solenoid plunger that applies battery voltage to the motor, knowing which type will determine where to go if it's not electrical. Hopefully the switch replacement will cure it, but it's been my experience that when a switch fails it doesn't make contact anymore, not fail to release, but if it's gummed up and the springs are weak that could happen.
Thanks. I think my next step is to install the switch when it arrives. To be hones I don't that is the issue but since the key falls out of it and it's sloppy it was worth replacing anyway. I also doubt it is a starter issue. I admit I've seen stranger things but I think it is unlikely that the original starter and two replacement starters are all having this issue. Thanks for addition things to look at. This is really getting old.

foton

Thanks. I think my next step is to install the switch when it arrives. To be hones I don't that is the issue but since the key falls out of it and it's sloppy it was worth replacing anyway. I also doubt it is a starter issue. I admit I've seen stranger things but I think it is unlikely that the original starter and two replacement starters are all having this issue. Thanks for addition things to look at. This is really getting old.
I know this does not help you now but when you take that starter out take it to a shop who works on them all the time . and see what they think made the thing fail, that might give you a clue as to what is going on.

mrbb

not that this is the answer here, but I have a LX 865, and had like issue's first thing I replaced was the key switch as mine also loose sloppy, and had hoped that was it, as my starter was also sticking after starting some what, and it seemed like possible cause, , new key switch didn;t solve issue however!, next I went to just replace starter as it was 16+ yrs old so, figured a new one wasn't a bad idea/ However, I had to buy 4 different starters till I got a good one(first 3 just didn;t fit right , pulley 's were different sizes than original, and when installed, seemed to turn things over very slow like(new battery or on a jump starter charger made no difference, voltage said all was good, they just wouldn;t spin right) , I tried 3 different aftermarket ones (half the price of a OEM one) and then ended up getting the OEM one, which did have the right sized pulley, that OEM one worked for 2 yrs then started having issue's with starting again, starter would stick and run after starting, it turned out for me I had BAD electrical connections in the fuse box, corrosion on things, cleaned them all, added dielectric grease and then found a relay that was looking bad and replaced, things worked great after that for a YR, THEN< starter issue's again? However I have a power disconnect set up, that kills power from batter to things in cab, and this time it turned out the disconnect switch was failing and not allowing full voltage to starter, replaced that and for past 6 months been good>> so, a few things maybe you can try checking , connections, fuses for corrosion, and key replacement cheap deal, and if you have a power shut off, them switches fail as well!

OP
OP
S

sgf

Final update, I hope! Close to $1600 at the last visit, 4 starters (some under warranty), 2 batteries, an aftermarket then a New Holland ignition switch and a bad wire replaced, that was likely the issue all along, I finally have my machine back. I could write a book on my many opinions on the five years this has been an issue off and on but I'll leave it at this and hope for the best.

Latest posts