Lx565 starts wont run

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hx65363

I need to know where to check my lx565 will start but when I let off of the key it dies what do I check?

flyerdan

It sounds like the hold coil of the fuel shutoff solenoid isn't working. Without knowing the wiring layout I'd guess that the start position of the key activates the pull side of the solenoid, which allows fuel to flow and the engine to start. Either the hold side is weak, or isn't getting power which results in fuel shutoff. This is how I would test.

First, find the solenoid and see if one of the wires has power when the switch is on. If it does,chances are the solenoid is weak.
If there is no power to either wire, pull the wire that activates the starter and turn the key to start. One of the wires should go hot, this is the pull. Put the starter wire back and make a jumper for the hold side and connect battery voltage to it, this should allow it to start and run if the coil is working.
If that is the case, you have a problem in the wire from the switch to the hold side of the coil, which could be in the switch itself, the wire, or hopefully just a bad connection that needs cleaned.

OP
OP
H

Hx65363

It sounds like the hold coil of the fuel shutoff solenoid isn't working. Without knowing the wiring layout I'd guess that the start position of the key activates the pull side of the solenoid, which allows fuel to flow and the engine to start. Either the hold side is weak, or isn't getting power which results in fuel shutoff. This is how I would test.

First, find the solenoid and see if one of the wires has power when the switch is on. If it does,chances are the solenoid is weak.
If there is no power to either wire, pull the wire that activates the starter and turn the key to start. One of the wires should go hot, this is the pull. Put the starter wire back and make a jumper for the hold side and connect battery voltage to it, this should allow it to start and run if the coil is working.
If that is the case, you have a problem in the wire from the switch to the hold side of the coil, which could be in the switch itself, the wire, or hopefully just a bad connection that needs cleaned.
Thanks flyerdan I'll check But it will run in the service position .

Mike10

Thanks flyerdan I'll check But it will run in the service position .
The start interlock relay in the engine fuse compartment is probably bad. While cranking one circuit supplies current to the fuel shut off solenoid and once the key is released the instrument panel supplies current throught the start interlock relay.

OP
OP
H

Hx65363

The start interlock relay in the engine fuse compartment is probably bad. While cranking one circuit supplies current to the fuel shut off solenoid and once the key is released the instrument panel supplies current throught the start interlock relay.
Thanks Mike10 I'll check it out!

OP
OP
H

Hx65363

Mike10 Witch relay is the interlock, mind you I don't have a diagram.

Mike10

And if I leave it in service mode it will run, but when I flip it to run it dies
The relay is under the cover with the fuses in the engine compartment. The relay is to the left of the fuses It is the largest thing under the cover except for the white porcelen resister. It is about 1 1/2" long, black and retangular with 6 terminals.