Ls185.b wouldn't start--stupid diode blown again

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Earthwerks Unlimited

Well it was 7 degrees this morning and the machine wouldn't start. Got it started, warmed it up and got it in the garage. I had to reconnect the rotating beacon on the roof and fix the wiper. Then it wouldn't start in RUN, but it would in SERVICE. Checked all the fuses and replaced one for the heater blower. Still no start. Then I remembered I had the same problem 4 years ago when it was new. Sure enough it was that pesky $15 diode again. Luckily I had the one spare I bought 4 years ago. I cut the old one apart and found a tiny diode. Tomorrow I go to Radio Shack and see if they have replacement diodes. The current one is only crimped in place to the two contacts then rubber was molded around it. If this works simply dabbing some epoxy around it will do. I will you guys posted.

OP
OP
E

Earthwerks Unlimited

Radio Shack sells the diode--part number/diode number N4004--for 50 cents each--2 in pack. Not too bad considering the dealer gets $15.00 each for the part. Just gotta wait for the Cummins' fuel lines to thaw (it's a balmy -7F out) and off to RS I go!

Tazza

Staff member
Radio Shack sells the diode--part number/diode number N4004--for 50 cents each--2 in pack. Not too bad considering the dealer gets $15.00 each for the part. Just gotta wait for the Cummins' fuel lines to thaw (it's a balmy -7F out) and off to RS I go!
A 1N4004 diode is one of the most common diods out there! I think they are even cheaper than that over here. Glad you got it all sorted out though.