LS170 Starter Grinding

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mfyock

I have an LS170 that has a starter issue. At times when I try to start the machine, the starter will just spin and grind instead of turning over the engine. I am a little surprised that I am having starter issues because I just had the starter rebuild 2 months ago because the starter was pulling a lot of current, and turned the engine over very slowly. I did read somewhere that the starter relays will occasionally cause a voltage drop, not allowing enough voltage at the solenoid to kick in the starter. Has anyone seen this, or should I just assume something was missed when the starter was rebuilt?

Tazza

Staff member
Still sounds like a starter issue to me. The bendix should extend even if the voltage is a little lower than it should be. I wonder if they didn't quite get it right?

SkidRoe

It could be the over running clutch in the starter drive. I have replaced these in a few of our tractors in the past.

jerry

It could be the over running clutch in the starter drive. I have replaced these in a few of our tractors in the past.
I does sound like the drive is just hanging up due to sticky shaft, is it worse in cool weather? Make sure the bendix drive is free on the shaft and no heavy oil on it. if it is free to slide maybe the clutch is shot or got oil inside during rebuild.

skidsteer.ca

I does sound like the drive is just hanging up due to sticky shaft, is it worse in cool weather? Make sure the bendix drive is free on the shaft and no heavy oil on it. if it is free to slide maybe the clutch is shot or got oil inside during rebuild.
I just wanted to add to this as I'm having the same issues with my LS160. 1670 hours Starter turns the engine good when engaged, but on some attempts it is late grabbing the ring gear and grinds before catching and turning the engine. it never slips out once its engaged. I have never had another starter act this way. is worse in cold weather or on a cold start. Battery is good, voltage normal, can't see any related issues. Frankly the machine is low hours and has had an easy life. It started winter before last, but was fine if i kept it in the heated shop, never used it last winter, and now its starting to do it even in the warm weather, but particularly when the engine is cold I took it of and lubed the shaft (a year ago and 200 hours back) where the bendix slides but that has made no change. Honestly can't see anything a wrong with it. Guess i'm going to break down and replace it with a new one, $86 on ebay as I fear for the health of my ring gear. If anyone come across a cure let us know. kenkreger at yahoo.com

Tazza

Staff member
I just wanted to add to this as I'm having the same issues with my LS160. 1670 hours Starter turns the engine good when engaged, but on some attempts it is late grabbing the ring gear and grinds before catching and turning the engine. it never slips out once its engaged. I have never had another starter act this way. is worse in cold weather or on a cold start. Battery is good, voltage normal, can't see any related issues. Frankly the machine is low hours and has had an easy life. It started winter before last, but was fine if i kept it in the heated shop, never used it last winter, and now its starting to do it even in the warm weather, but particularly when the engine is cold I took it of and lubed the shaft (a year ago and 200 hours back) where the bendix slides but that has made no change. Honestly can't see anything a wrong with it. Guess i'm going to break down and replace it with a new one, $86 on ebay as I fear for the health of my ring gear. If anyone come across a cure let us know. kenkreger at yahoo.com
Only $86 for a new one? i'd have suspected far more.
I'd be worried about the ring gear too, that sucker would cost more than a new starter i bet....

mmsllc

Only $86 for a new one? i'd have suspected far more.
I'd be worried about the ring gear too, that sucker would cost more than a new starter i bet....
I would suggest replacing the starter with a new one, along with the starter relay. How much can they cost? especially in comparison to replacing the flywheel due to starter damage. I would inspect the wiring to the relay very well. I'd check the battery cables (for any signs of corrosion inside of the cable) & the terminal ends for being corroded, or broken or not able to clamp down tight to the battery. Any of these seemingly unimportant items can cause all kinds of problems. If everything looks good, try throwing a starter & relay at it. I have no doubts that you will quickly make that money back up in no time.

Latest posts