Low Flow/Hi-Flow

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Rockfoot

I am new to the forum and have joined to ask a few pertinent questions and advise from people in the know .I have a 2002 Takeuchi TL150. It is a very good machine and so far has not been afraid of anything I have asked it to do. The problem I am up against now is the lack of Hi-Flow hydraulics. Let me explain a little bit of background first. . I am not in business. I am a home owner with 23 acres that is completely wooded. It is mostly pine and gum with oaks and cherry and a lot of under brush. Probably was a swamp at one time. If you are familiar with the SC Low Country, then you know how thick it can be and when it gets thick, it gets tall and spindly. An ice storm the beginning of the year really messed up the property. Thousands of spindley pines are bent over, 3-6 inches in diameter.. are laying or standing, with hundreds of pines snapped off anywhere between 20 and 40 feet. I think this would be a perfect place for a forestry cutter/mulcher to be used. I called a guy that had done some work for me when I was building my house..about a year ago and his prices had really increased... called another guy and he wanted $3200 a day and couldn't tell me how long it would take.... I think the insurance companys had a little to do with all of these price increases... (my opinion).. point is it would probably behove me to own a mulcher. Now the sad part... I have heard nothing good about low flow mulchers except from low flow mulcher salesmen. I have about $21,000 in this skidsteer, which I am very lucky to own. It has a lot of hours on it (over 5000)but it runs good and uses no oil and all the hydraulics perform as they should. I cannot aford to buy a new mulcher, hi or low flow... Before I buy a used, low flow mulcher, I would like to get some opinions from somebody that has actually used them both and could offer advice, one way or the other. I am not trying to be a cheapskate or beat anybody out of a job... I am just trying to make the right decision before all that pine on the ground is subject to some sort of wild fire. I bought a used 89hp Vermeer chipper. It worked but it put me on my back for a few weeks... that is definitly a young mans sport (66). Thanks for any and all input, R. Barrett, Cross..SC

SkidRoe

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you on board.
Two things that I can think of before you take the plunge:
1) Would any of the potential salesman be up for you trying out their equipment on your machine before you buy? This way, you can see if it is as good as they say (or good enough for your purposes).
2) In case the answer is "no" to thought 1), can you rent a low flow mulcher and do the same? I did the same thing before buying my own auger for my machine.
Food for thought, let us know how it goes.
Cheers - SR