Looking at a Deere 325

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Butters

I have had a Bobcat 751 for a few years and now need a larger machine.
I have found a 2005 Deere 325 with about 1700 hours on it. Are there any particular things I should check out before committing to this machine? I just dont have any experience with the JD's.

jklingel

FWIW.... I've run JDs for about 600 hrs, so am no expert. I had a used 240, then a new 332. The difference in the amount of work each does is impressive, too. Both rigs ran/run w/out any abnormal issues. I've talked w/ a guy who works for Cat during the day, and repairs most brands at night. He sees no particular differences in durability, ease of working on, etc, among the Cats, JDs, Case, and Bobcats. I've mostly done the usual tinkering on the JDs, and it seems that everything is about as accessible as you'd expect. There are 2 Bobcats, one Case, 2 JDs, and one Mustang w/in 1/2 mile of me, and no one seems to have anything bad to say about any of the other brands, nor is anyone's machine ever down much. They all seem like pretty good rigs. Good luck w/ your call.

OP
OP
B

Butters

FWIW.... I've run JDs for about 600 hrs, so am no expert. I had a used 240, then a new 332. The difference in the amount of work each does is impressive, too. Both rigs ran/run w/out any abnormal issues. I've talked w/ a guy who works for Cat during the day, and repairs most brands at night. He sees no particular differences in durability, ease of working on, etc, among the Cats, JDs, Case, and Bobcats. I've mostly done the usual tinkering on the JDs, and it seems that everything is about as accessible as you'd expect. There are 2 Bobcats, one Case, 2 JDs, and one Mustang w/in 1/2 mile of me, and no one seems to have anything bad to say about any of the other brands, nor is anyone's machine ever down much. They all seem like pretty good rigs. Good luck w/ your call.
Thanks, I am the proud owner of a new-to-me Deere 325. I got it with a 78 inch tooth bucket, forks, and maintenance records for $11,000. I need new tires right away. It doesnt have any options, but I hope/think i got a decent deal.

jerry

Thanks, I am the proud owner of a new-to-me Deere 325. I got it with a 78 inch tooth bucket, forks, and maintenance records for $11,000. I need new tires right away. It doesnt have any options, but I hope/think i got a decent deal.
I looked on machinery trader and the Deeres of that age and hours all seemed to be above $20000 some of them were a lot above. I don't know where these machines are when I go looking for one. congrats on the good deal.

gtstang462002

I looked on machinery trader and the Deeres of that age and hours all seemed to be above $20000 some of them were a lot above. I don't know where these machines are when I go looking for one. congrats on the good deal.
My advice on the 325, keep the water drained out of the separtor. Friend of mine has one with 530 hours on it and is now putting a motor in it because of water. It wasn't much either because I had just drained the separator 1.5 hours prior to the injector locking up. These engines have pushrod injectors in them. And when the injector locks up it locks the camshaft up, the gear that drives the cam is held in place by a bolt with no keyway, this causes the bolt to come loose for the cam gear and them it eats valves and cracks pistons. Horrible design in my opinion. Other than that it is a machine that will not let you down in the power department and if you have the cab option will definitely keep you warm while pushing snow.

jklingel

All that for $11K and it runs? You're a deal swinger! I'll look you up when I need another one; I'm actually thinking about down-sizing. Enjoy the new machine. j

OP
OP
B

Butters

All that for $11K and it runs? You're a deal swinger! I'll look you up when I need another one; I'm actually thinking about down-sizing. Enjoy the new machine. j
Thanks for the heads-up on the separator. I have had it about 2 months now and have put about 100 hrs on it with no troubles so far.

Latest posts