Learning to use 4 in one bucket help.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

NITRO

Hi guys, So ive clocked up 150 hrs since Feburary on my new holland L230 and ive got an atea here that i have rough graded and just trying to learn some basic skidsteer operations like making a pad and spreading. I'm struggling to figure out how to use the 4 in one to pick up the dirt. Im either doing it wrong or there is something funny going on with the hydraulics... Ive watched a few youtube vids where the operator opens the bucket over a small pile of dirt, rocks, trash etc then crowds forward over the pile, and while reversing the machine simultaniously closing bucket, lowering boom, and crowding back effectively picking up everything and looking awesome... Lol. When i try this on my L230 it doesnt work... :( With my bucket open and over the pile, if i push the thumb button to close bucket while crowding back and trying to lower boom the boom goes up instead of down. Wtf. Haha Its like the boom control is being backfed with oil somehow and changes direction while i am trying to close the bucket. Trying the procedure just up in the air is joystick forwardand to left which should lower boom and crowd back that part works fine but if you try to close bucket at same time the boom goes up instead of down. What am i missing here? Thanks guys.

OP
OP
N

NITRO

Ok, it appears to be a hydraulic problem. If i crowd bucket fully and hold the lever and then try to lower boom, the boom raises so i must have some sort of hydraulic backfeed problem charging my boom raise circuit while a crowd or bucket grab is in relief mode. Ive lifted the cab and looking around trying to find some sort of relief valve that may be cross leaking somehow. Any ideas appreciated thanks

Mike10

Ok, it appears to be a hydraulic problem. If i crowd bucket fully and hold the lever and then try to lower boom, the boom raises so i must have some sort of hydraulic backfeed problem charging my boom raise circuit while a crowd or bucket grab is in relief mode. Ive lifted the cab and looking around trying to find some sort of relief valve that may be cross leaking somehow. Any ideas appreciated thanks
If the aux is dead headed the other functions will not work. Contact your New Holland dealer for a possible work around. Have them check on Assist if they act ignorant.

OP
OP
N

NITRO

If the aux is dead headed the other functions will not work. Contact your New Holland dealer for a possible work around. Have them check on Assist if they act ignorant.
Ok thanks, i took the bucket off this arvo and without any attachment i raised boom a meter or so off the ground then pulled crowd rams back hard and held them there against relief. If i then try to lower boom it goes up instead of down. So it appears that either aux or crowd working against relief causes funny business in the boom circuit? Are you saying its normal for this machine? Are other brands the same? Or is this a new holland issue? My dealer is 600 km away :( is it worth me pulling out and checking the 4 valves on the control box and checking for a stuck one or is there nothing wrong with it. Its only got 150 hours on the machine.

OP
OP
N

NITRO

Ok thanks, i took the bucket off this arvo and without any attachment i raised boom a meter or so off the ground then pulled crowd rams back hard and held them there against relief. If i then try to lower boom it goes up instead of down. So it appears that either aux or crowd working against relief causes funny business in the boom circuit? Are you saying its normal for this machine? Are other brands the same? Or is this a new holland issue? My dealer is 600 km away :( is it worth me pulling out and checking the 4 valves on the control box and checking for a stuck one or is there nothing wrong with it. Its only got 150 hours on the machine.
The reason the aux (grab open/close) is acting like its dead headed is because i fitted 2 adjustable flow restricters onto the back of the bucket check valve block in an attempt to slow down the bucket grab speed. That grab is aggressive as hell and almost impossible to feather with the factory thumb slide going horizontal on the right joystick. :( is there any way to bin that thumb switch and fit a better one or maybe even fit a nice cat joystick with the thumb wheel in a verticle position so i can "feel it" ? Haha Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
The reason the aux (grab open/close) is acting like its dead headed is because i fitted 2 adjustable flow restricters onto the back of the bucket check valve block in an attempt to slow down the bucket grab speed. That grab is aggressive as hell and almost impossible to feather with the factory thumb slide going horizontal on the right joystick. :( is there any way to bin that thumb switch and fit a better one or maybe even fit a nice cat joystick with the thumb wheel in a verticle position so i can "feel it" ? Haha Thanks
It really shouldn't go in the opposite direction when dead hading any hydraulic function.... Almost sounds like a crack in the control block or a weird bucket leveling system acting up.

OP
OP
N

NITRO

It really shouldn't go in the opposite direction when dead hading any hydraulic function.... Almost sounds like a crack in the control block or a weird bucket leveling system acting up.
Ok thanks, so it appears to be something wrong with it then. I will try to find a machine the same just to double check the boom can lower whilst pushing forward left on joystick and then see if the dealer can fix it. For what i do with windrowing manure and lift carry work it works great and gets the job done quickly with plenty of grunt but this 4 in one bucket operation is hard like it is. Thanks

OP
OP
N

NITRO

Ok thanks, so it appears to be something wrong with it then. I will try to find a machine the same just to double check the boom can lower whilst pushing forward left on joystick and then see if the dealer can fix it. For what i do with windrowing manure and lift carry work it works great and gets the job done quickly with plenty of grunt but this 4 in one bucket operation is hard like it is. Thanks
Ive found out whats wrong with it and my machine has also just gained am extra feature i thought it didnt have.... After going through the manual again, ive discovered that my float button ive been using unsuccessfuly is not the float button at all.... And the glide ride button that i thought didnt work actually does work The problem was me pressing and holding in the glide ride button thinking it was the float which strangely only let my booms float a littke bit.... Haha it turns out the real float button needs to be pressed in and then when you push forward on joystick you can hear it clunk into propper float mode which lets me do what i was trying to do by opening bucket and floating booms then back dragging along then closing bucket while curling bucket back and picking up the dirt. The machine works great now im using the right buttons.... Lol Ive been using the wrong button the whole time. :(

Tazza

Staff member
Ive found out whats wrong with it and my machine has also just gained am extra feature i thought it didnt have.... After going through the manual again, ive discovered that my float button ive been using unsuccessfuly is not the float button at all.... And the glide ride button that i thought didnt work actually does work The problem was me pressing and holding in the glide ride button thinking it was the float which strangely only let my booms float a littke bit.... Haha it turns out the real float button needs to be pressed in and then when you push forward on joystick you can hear it clunk into propper float mode which lets me do what i was trying to do by opening bucket and floating booms then back dragging along then closing bucket while curling bucket back and picking up the dirt. The machine works great now im using the right buttons.... Lol Ive been using the wrong button the whole time. :(
At least now you know what it was and that nothing is broken :)

Latest posts