Leaky chaincase cover repair

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OldMachinist

I was doing some routine maintenance the other day and checked the chaincase oil and found it was all milky again. The chaincase cover bolts had come loose again and let water in. Whoever at Bobcat decided that they could put 3/8"-16 self tapping bolts thru 3/16" material and thought they would hold should have their engineering degree revoked. I know others have had the same problem and welded nuts under the lip but I didn't want to do that because of the weld spatter getting in the case. I took some 1/4" x 1" steel and tranfered the bolt holes to them and welded nuts on the back side.
DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

Then I bolted them in place, drilled and countersunk the lip of the case for some 1/4"-20 flat head screws to hold them in place.
DSCF1161.jpg

To keep the drill chips from getting in the case I masked off the hole and only drilled part way into the new bars. Then vacuumed up the shavings and took the bars over to the drill press to finish drilling and tapping them.
DSCF1158.jpg

I made a new gasket and installed the cover with plenty of black RTV to seal it.
While I had the chaincase empty I added a proper drain at the rear of the case so next time I could drain it without have to suck out the oil.
DSCF1170.jpg

skidsteer.ca

Well done. Good idea on counter sinking the additional bolts to hold it.
I had trouble with my 753 covers too, but it was because the boom stop had cracked the front of the case
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Well done. Good idea on counter sinking the additional bolts to hold it.
I had trouble with my 753 covers too, but it was because the boom stop had cracked the front of the case
Ken
Nice job!
I too don't like their way of holding the plates down either. Especially when they are made to support the brake assembly too. 6-8 bolts to do that AND keep the chaincase sealed i don't believe is enough. How many bolts are used on an engine sump to keep it from leaking? just a few more :)

SkidRoe

Nice work, OM. Great idea on the drain plug, I just might do that one myself.
Please tell me that you didn't do that mod while lying on the floor... :p
Cheers,
SR

OP
OP
OldMachinist

OldMachinist

Nice work, OM. Great idea on the drain plug, I just might do that one myself.
Please tell me that you didn't do that mod while lying on the floor... :p
Cheers,
SR
Yes I was on the floor but I had both front tires off and the rear jacked up as far as my jack stands would go. Which gave me barely enough room to get under there with my welding helmet on. If I had to do it over I would have put it up on the trailer and turned the machine sideways so the rear of the chaincase was hanging over the side of the trailer. I didn't think of that until I was done, loaded it on the trailer and saw how easy that would have made it.

willie59

Yes I was on the floor but I had both front tires off and the rear jacked up as far as my jack stands would go. Which gave me barely enough room to get under there with my welding helmet on. If I had to do it over I would have put it up on the trailer and turned the machine sideways so the rear of the chaincase was hanging over the side of the trailer. I didn't think of that until I was done, loaded it on the trailer and saw how easy that would have made it.
OldMachinest> "If I had to do it over I would have put it up on the trailer and turned the machine sideways so the rear of the chaincase was hanging over the side of the trailer. I didn't think of that until I was done, loaded it on the trailer and saw how easy that would have made it." < < LoL...ain't that the way it goes. Nice repair job brother.

SkidRoe

I have buggered knees, so this is the only way to fly:
100_0534.jpg picture by SkidRoe

Sorry, OM : )

Tazza

Staff member
If you have the room, they are really not that expensive. We picked that one up used for $1000.
I believe space would be the biggest problem, but something still to ponder.
My dad knows a guy that gets them from time to time, time will tell.

skidsteer.ca

I believe space would be the biggest problem, but something still to ponder.
My dad knows a guy that gets them from time to time, time will tell.
I bought a 10000 lb bendpak hoist for $2500 new 3 years back, and I sure like it. Some weeks it does not get used but it is well worth it when it does.
Still have not tried the Bobcat on it but I should make some ramps over the arms and drop in the holes so I can lift it up. Would be great for engine service, fluid drains and cleanout.
Ken