L785?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

alexl010

Hello All, https://photos.app.goo.gl/obEsRLuCRCU1SceHA I recently purchased a New Holland to do some work around my yard and snow removal in the winter. I was told it's a L785 - I was hoping you all could help me identify it. Is it a L785? Any idea on a year? I can't find the serial number on it. It's got milky hydro fluid so I plan on replacing all 22 Gallons and the filters. It has a few hydro leaks that I'm also going to address. It seems to operate for awhile then stops untill it rests for a few hours. I was told this was the hyrdo system sucking in air... does that sound right? I hope once I seal up the leaks and put fresh fluid she will be happy. I have read about a screen that needs to be cleaned, could this also be the issue? Where do I find that? https://photos.app.goo.gl/obEsRLuCRCU1SceHA I have a few other questions.... I ordered the operators manual so I may be able to answer some of them myself when it arrives but here goes anyway.. What are the threaded plugs on either side of the cab near the drivers knee? (i took a photo of one of them) Part of the leaking hydraulics are the aux lines. I started by capping the lines from the aux valve - but i'm thinking of removing the aux valve and the controls entirely for simplicity. I don't plan on using any attachments that need aux hydro.... Any advice for a new skid steer owner is appreciated. I already found some great info from other threads on the forum. Sorry for the long post. Thanks, -Alex

Tazza

Staff member
Link to the photos of my New Holland on google photos
I can't help you on the model, but congrats on your new toy.
I'd just look at replacing the seals in the aux valve, cheaper than a new one. You say you won't use aux hydraulics, but you never do know, auger, grapple, 4 in 1 bucket, backhoe, log splitter. These are all items that need aux flow to run that you may get down the track.
Seals are fairly easy to change in the valves, and are very cheap.

JWD

Alex- Picture #3 on your google photos link has the brown pump with the white hose on the right hand side goes to a yellow upright metal tube with a nut on the top. that nut is a cap remove it and there is a metal mesh strainer in there make sure it's clean. your machine looks very similar to my L785 do you have the 3 cylinder diesel? I'm in the market for the power beyond plug for the auxiliary hydraulics if you do decide to remove the auxiliary hydraulics I would be interested in purchasing them.

OP
OP
A

alexl010

Alex- Picture #3 on your google photos link has the brown pump with the white hose on the right hand side goes to a yellow upright metal tube with a nut on the top. that nut is a cap remove it and there is a metal mesh strainer in there make sure it's clean. your machine looks very similar to my L785 do you have the 3 cylinder diesel? I'm in the market for the power beyond plug for the auxiliary hydraulics if you do decide to remove the auxiliary hydraulics I would be interested in purchasing them.
Thanks JWD I did pull and clean that screen. Very clogged! Changed fluid and canister filters and she's much happier now. I think I have to do yet another fluid change as it was impossible to get all the contaminated fluid out and it's still looking snotty. It is the 3cyl diesel. Now I just need to figure out my sticking pedals... I am probably going to pull the aux hydraulics.. if I remove the power beyond plug from the control valve unit, I just cap it off? Then cap off the other line connected to the aux valve box? Thx

JWD

Thanks JWD I did pull and clean that screen. Very clogged! Changed fluid and canister filters and she's much happier now. I think I have to do yet another fluid change as it was impossible to get all the contaminated fluid out and it's still looking snotty. It is the 3cyl diesel. Now I just need to figure out my sticking pedals... I am probably going to pull the aux hydraulics.. if I remove the power beyond plug from the control valve unit, I just cap it off? Then cap off the other line connected to the aux valve box? Thx
mine has a plug on the control valve unit where the power beyond plug would go and a cap on the line that runs to the auxiliary control valve. Let me know on that power beyond plug if you decide to sell it.

OP
OP
A

alexl010

mine has a plug on the control valve unit where the power beyond plug would go and a cap on the line that runs to the auxiliary control valve. Let me know on that power beyond plug if you decide to sell it.
JWD do you still want some of my aux hydraulics parts? Not sure how to private message you, I might not have enough posts to do so. If you'd assist me in properly capping off the system I can't see I'm going to use the aux at all. I have much bigger fish to fry making my 785 reliable. Thanks

JWD

JWD do you still want some of my aux hydraulics parts? Not sure how to private message you, I might not have enough posts to do so. If you'd assist me in properly capping off the system I can't see I'm going to use the aux at all. I have much bigger fish to fry making my 785 reliable. Thanks
Yes I'm still interested. I don't know how to do private messages either. Are you able to click on my username my email is listed there?

Jim A

I have a 1994 L785 7000 hours never breaks. Down did many many heavy jobs .
Sold my new Bobcrap and kept old machine.
Perkins.
Clean suction screen under seat watch for water in hyd system milky oil from chain case covers . I sealed them with black silicone .
Best machine I ever owned can lift 2000 lbs no problem loads full height dump trucks and four in one bucket I load trees debris .
Also check tension on drive Chains adjustment but on front top of chain case.
I use 10w30 Motor oil in hyd system.

Ps: Starter from a 6.5 GM diesel matches for parts drive is different.
I also put a single wire GM alternator on it.

rickesp

Jim did you ever have an issue with the bucket tilt not working intermittently? Makin me nuts. But i agree my L785 is a workhorse.

Jim A

Power to safety interlock valve solenoid may be the cause. Up near foot pedals under a cover on left when in machine .
Jump across seat switch plug to test it .

Very simple machine no ECM computers to go bad.
Someone should make this simple rugged machine again ..Maybe Russia .