L785 seat switch

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rodbuilder

A friend of mine who is a licensed heavy empt operator put a new seat on my L785 and we are getting headaches trying to figure out why they boom won't do what its supposed to do now. After adding a toggle switch to bypass that stupid safety crap, now the boom is locked about 4 feet off the groundnut the bucket will still move. Can someone please tell me how to disable the seat switch on one of these machines? We were under the assumption that this would be an easy job compared to a Bobcat because there are only 2 wires going to the original seat. Please send all replies to me at: [email protected] HELP. Thanks!

Barrakutz

You can not bypass the switch directly. You need add a resistor. In the old seat wire you have a resistor that lows voltaje from 12v to 3v. Read old seat resistor and and one with same valve. Soria for my poor english

Ivan

Try running a jumper wire to connect the 2 wires. Worked on my L 553 but I don't recommend running it this was because of the danger issue

Rayhat

I want to change out the seat on my 1992 L785 and there are no holes for the two seat switches in the new seat. My old seat base has big chunks of cushion missing and you can just pick the whole thing up off the metal frame and toss it like a frisbee. So I removed the two switches from the seat base framework held both buttons down in my hand and buckled up, light on no crank. I removed plastic dome from each switch and pressed both buttons, no crank. I removed both switches from the plastic seat frame mounts and pressed the buttons, no crank. I put it all back together and she started right up. I do'nt mind the seat belt switch, but am I supposed to keep shaving my new seat until the switches work right. If the seat cushion is a piece of crap why does it work with the switches. I'm 205lbs, if a guy gets in and weighs more will the switches work. With all the padding missing from the seat base how does in keep working. I pick up the cushion and push down the switches, I put that crap seat on it works. WTF

Ivan

I want to change out the seat on my 1992 L785 and there are no holes for the two seat switches in the new seat. My old seat base has big chunks of cushion missing and you can just pick the whole thing up off the metal frame and toss it like a frisbee. So I removed the two switches from the seat base framework held both buttons down in my hand and buckled up, light on no crank. I removed plastic dome from each switch and pressed both buttons, no crank. I removed both switches from the plastic seat frame mounts and pressed the buttons, no crank. I put it all back together and she started right up. I do'nt mind the seat belt switch, but am I supposed to keep shaving my new seat until the switches work right. If the seat cushion is a piece of crap why does it work with the switches. I'm 205lbs, if a guy gets in and weighs more will the switches work. With all the padding missing from the seat base how does in keep working. I pick up the cushion and push down the switches, I put that crap seat on it works. WTF
I am not sure but try touching the metal base of the switch to the seat base and see if that works

tech.35058

I am not sure but try touching the metal base of the switch to the seat base and see if that works
I am following this thread, my seat frame ( lx863) is disintegrating from rust. I put a foam lawn mower seat on top of it, which gives me a little better veiw over the front, but servicing the seat frame is on the "to do " list.

Spud85farmer

I have a LX885 and randomly the petals are locked and I have to undo the seatbelt and reconnect then it works. this morning it won't work no matter what I do.

brdgbldr

pulled it in the shop and let it set and it worked. ?
I'm not familiar with your machine but if it has a seatbelt safety switch it may have a short or is going bad.

You can try to clean out the latch on the seatbelt as dirt and debris can cause some of these to malfunction.

Rayhat

I left the wiring with the diode in it in tact, and routed it up to a rocker switch on the Inst Panel. You just have to follow the start sequence "key on, switch on, seat belt buckled." The seat switch only interfered with me starting the machine. Once I bypassed it I could start it get out and buckle the belt and it would work. if I had to stand up to see And still operate the machine . It can be dangerous. Those pedals and levers seam to get stepped on and caught on clothing from time to time.

schreib69

It's amazing what a guy will do to logically solve a problem. Your episode is a perfect example of the plugger-fixit mentality we have. Just the same, if the electrical engineer who designed that switch assembly was reading this he would be jumping up and down! It is really hard to anticipate aftermarket work-around fixes to the point somebody works that hard on it and still fails!

haymaker

Rayhat said:

So if it only works when screwed/bolted down is that a ground situation?

schreib69

Rayhat said:

So if it only works when screwed/bolted down is that a ground situation?
Possibly. The question is:
"Is there a conducting line (metal) all the way from the machine frame(ground) through the seat frame, into the switch body, and then to the grounded side of the switch?"

A way to test this is to mount an(electrically) insulating member between the machine frame and the seat system. Possibly, something as simple as using NYLON screws instead of steel screws / bolts to mount it in place. You would expect it NOT to work to PROVE the theory that this is a grounding issue.
OR repeat your earlier test(hold buttons in hand) BUT run a ground wire from the buttons to machine ground.

Jim A

I have same machine best machine I ever owned 6000hours no issues.
I had same switch go bad and put a switch in cab to turn on off to lock machine hydraulic system up .
check suction screen under seat clean it often .
good luck

Latest posts