kohler for my skid..(maybe honda)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1816case

hope I didn't throw $ out the window. I came across a 18hp Kohler command side shaft out of a Cub tractor. condition unknown but appears to have compression. They seem hard to find in my area used so paid 300 for it. does need a muffler but I figured would need some fabricating there anyway to get it to fit behind seat in Case 1816. I also had offered a guy 200 for a Honda gx620 (20hp) before I saw the Kohler- if he accepts I'll have two engines to choose from. The cost is still in ball park just for one. Downside is the Honda has taper shaft but I'm willing to try to figure that out as I Love the way big Hondas run (got another on snowblower)- If the kohler runs and don't smoke.. or either engine far as that goes- think it is ok to use it without a re-build? I once bought a 392 Hemi and tore it down- only to wish I hadn't as it was flawless inside (never got it back together)

Tazza

Staff member
I'm with you, if it runs i'd leave it alone. The only issue is, you won't know how good it really is till you get some load on it.
I see no issue with the tapered shaft, it should be a standard size, so you should be able to get hold of an adaptor to suit your needs.

mark18mwm

Maybe you could take both engines to someone that dyno's small engines. Ask some motorcycle / snowmobile/watercraft shops or if you know of a lawn mower racer (don't laugh, they are out there and are serious race and performance guys), they might be able to direct you to some one that has a dyno for small engines. Then you would know for sure which is the one to use. That would tell the whole story of the engines under load. I personally like Honda's but kohler is also a good engine so I think no mater what, you will be happy if they are in good condition. P.S if you are anywhere around north central WI. I know of a couple dyno's around here that you might use.