Just bought a good used Mustang 440 and have some questions.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

scrid

Hello everyone!
As the title says I just purchased a good used Owatonna Mustang 440 from a client. I havent dated it yet but I did find the data tag on the right rear boom.
I thought I might be able to use this little unit around the neighborhood, especially if we get snowed in.
It has a few issues however I was hoping you guys could help me with or point me in the right direction.
I am a forklift mechanic by trade so I'm not shy to get in and get dirty.
So far I have found some gross work was done in the past on the T tiller handle, alot of bolts were used that were too long and causing binding and other issues.
The rod end bearings suffered alot of damage and I have new ones on order. However the two "steering dampers"? Not sure that is the correct term for them but one seems ok, and the other when I took the linkage loose I pulled the rod clean out of the body of the damper. Looks like it was threaded onto a piston inside the damper.
1. Is there a part number or comparable replacement for these dampers as I would like to replace both since I am reworking the control linkages.

The engine runs really well with the exception of a cracked manifold. I believe it is the Ford 1.6 Industrial engine. The muffler needs upgraded also.
I assume I will have to weld the manifold. The air hose that attached to the top of the carb is just sitting on top of the carburetor. It looks to me like it was suppose to have had a thumb screw rod with a clamp similar to what they used on say the 1940's Mopar oil filled air cleaners. I will need to address that.
2. Can anyone verify that or shoot me a pic of the correct attachment of the air intake to the top of the carb?

I found by looking into the right side fuel tank someone dropped a metal flexible funnel end down in there. Looks to be about 10 or 12" long. Good grief.
If anyone has a digital service manual or parts manual for this Model I would really appreciate a copy. I bought a service manual yesterday online but it is not the entire thing and only covers the hydrostat. I feel like I should try to inspect the hydraulic pick up screen and make sue it's not too gunked up as well as the fuel pick up tubes.
Thank you all for reading.

Attachments

• 440.jpg
    440.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 118

Firefighter

If you have a Gehl or Mustang dealer in area they should b able to fix you up. if
parts are still available. Mustang also built for JD at the time the same model on JD Side should
be a jd 125. u can get online at jd parts and use that model & they will have parts diagram. The
part # Is same as Mustang, If u Remove the front 2 Letters. I believe there some gehl dealers that
list the dampers online. As far as a service manual they only had Operators & parts manuals for those loaders

OP
OP
scrid

scrid

Thank you. I was able to get both shocks / dampers off and found them similar but with different part numbers on them.
They both look like they were made by Gabriel, one is actually marked "Gabriel" with part number 615494,...and 170-10986 on it.
The other is marked 615777.

Last edited:

koko

Thank you. I was able to get both shocks / dampers off and found them similar but with different part numbers on them.
They both look like they were made by Gabriel, one is actually marked "Gabriel" with part number 615494,...and 170-10986 on it.
The other is marked 615777.
One may be an OEM number & other other a replacement number. I have found that the dampers for SUV lift hatches are different numbers for each side indicating right or left but the mounts could be turned to make them fit either side.

If you have a Gehl or Mustang dealer in area they should b able to fix you up. if
parts are still available. Mustang also built for JD at the time the same model on JD Side should
be a jd 125. u can get online at jd parts and use that model & they will have parts diagram. The
part # Is same as Mustang, If u Remove the front 2 Letters. I believe there some gehl dealers that
list the dampers online. As far as a service manual they only had Operators & parts manuals for those loaders
No there is also a service manual that the dealers had and a hydrostatic transmission manual. U can find them both online