John Deere 8875 Vent Tube coming out of the right drive gear?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jlesinski

Hello,

I purchased a John Deere 8875 to use around my property on a few projects and clear my driveways. I am decent with mechanics and cleaned it all up, changed fluids, filters, etc and even painted it and put on new stickers to freshen it up. Everything seems to run fine and it is a strong machine compared to my little bxx25 Kubota tractor. It was leaking fluid from the hydraulic reservoir where a sensor screws into it from the linkage hitting the sensor and loosening it up. I had flipped up the cab and fixed all of that when I changed the fluids and cleaned everything out really well to check for leaks.

I did find one thing that seemed a little odd to me so I figured I would post some pictures to understand if this is a problem or just something "normal". There is a vinyl tube which was attached to what looks like a breather vent on top of the right drive gear which seems to be pushed into a hole in the hydraulic reservoir. This doesn't look factory at all but who knows with a machine this old.

The hose had fallen out of the hole in the reservoir and quite a bit of fluid was leaking out of the hose into the under carriage so I recently pushed the hose back into the reservoir. It almost seemed like it was pushing fluid out the hose but not like a stream. I wouldn't think this should recirculate fluid into the tank anyway... so I figured I should ask about it. I had read that if the vents were leaking there could be a problem with seals somewhere so I figured I should ask some experts what they think and what my next steps should be!

I have attached some pictures to show what I am talking about. If you have any thoughts let me know. I have a friend with a machine shop that said if I needed to pull the pump out and redo seals he could do it with me, but I am wondering if that is what the issue is and where to start.

Thanks all!
Jim

Attachments

• 1-VentTube.jpg
    1-VentTube.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 110
  • 2-VentTube.jpg
    2-VentTube.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 3-TubeTank.jpg
    3-TubeTank.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 102