John Deere 24A Doesn't want to turn

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Skid Billy

Greetings. I've got a JD24A that makes a loud hydraulic pump type noise when trying to turn it. Im wondering if anyone has experience with these machines. Im not sure if there is a filter screen on the pumps that I am missing.
I bought this machine very cheap with the previous owner saying one pump or motor was weak. I spent quite some time getting it started. It is a diesel with the Isuzu C190. It will run pretty well now, but possibly has an injector issue because it smokes quite a lot. I changed both of the hydraulic filters and put some new fluid in because the previous fluid was very milky. There must have been a mouse that got into the system somehow because there were remains of hair clumps that were removed during the fluid change. Now that the fluid has been changed, the bucket operates very well. It will lift the front of the machine no problem - although the two lift cylinders are both leaking around the shaft. I think I can get rebuild kits for each of the drive pumps for around 170 each but it looks like just gaskets in the kits. I've not rebuild a hydraulic motor before, and I know from experience that I should exhaust all possibilities before taking a project so far as to open one of the motors.
It goes forward and backward no problem but really groans when I try to turn it. It has the T bar controls. I'm going to look into finding a repair manual, but figured I would check here to see if anyone has any suggestions. Maybe the info will also help someone in the future. Maybe it'll help the guy I sell this machine to if I cant get it turning properly hah.

Attachments

• Screenshot from IMG_4005.MOV.png
    Screenshot from IMG_4005.MOV.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 98

Bailey54

Hey, I just purchased one myself. I got my JD 24a really cheap and turns ok just not as sharp as I believe it should. Did you ever get your issue figured out? I believe I have some bad injectors because it's kinda hard to start and smokes a lot for first 45sec. Then it clears up. I haven't I'm changing all filters this weekend and hopefully something's straighten up. Let me know please what you figured out with that steering. Thanks

Bailey54

Any updates on your machine? Here's what I got for manuals hopefully helps

Attachments

• 4JG1-TPA-Engine-Parts CTL70-Compact-Track-Loader-Isuzu--Manual-917063B.pdf
    922 KB · Views: 87
  • skid-steers-60-90-125-loaders (1).pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 297