john deere 240 just clicks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sharonaf1

i have a john deere 240 that's been working/starting fine, until now. went to use it and it just clicked when turning the key. first thought, battery. i test it, says battery is good. i jump it and it starts right up. use it a little bit, turn it off,starts right up. next day, same thing. so, i buy a new battery anyway. put it in, starts fine. next day same thing. battery is up full, not drained, barely move under load test. i hear the click left side , behind operator. again starts fine with a jump. advice please.

Tazza

Staff member
That's weird, it sounds like a bad relay, but it doesn't explain why it works if you jump the battery.
I'ts not draining the battery over night is it? and the jumping just gets it started and the alternator charges it up?

OP
OP
S

sharonaf1

That's weird, it sounds like a bad relay, but it doesn't explain why it works if you jump the battery.
I'ts not draining the battery over night is it? and the jumping just gets it started and the alternator charges it up?
battery is not drained overnight. still fully charged and holds with a load test. so after starting it doesn't have to re-charge or bring it up. seems like it needs that extra jolt to break thru something. yes, weird.

mrbb

MY guess is it could be bad connections, or corroded wires, be the main battery to starter, or likes
corrosion can sloe the flow down to make it not have enough juice at starter to turn things over properly, thus adding extra power, gets the job done
if the machine also has a battery disconnect, they are prone to fail and cause issue's like this
on my machine alone I have had this happen 2 times in 10 yrs or so, due to the power disconnect failing for ?? reasons, it wouldn;t allow enough power to get to starter!
if you read up on power disconnects, you will read a lot about how they don;t last long, from the cheap one's to the higher end costing once;'s, they all seem to have short life spans!

and also could be!
the starter solenoid could also be bad!

I'd start with checking all connections and wire for corrosion, it can creep under insulation too and effect flow!
so not just at connections, if you see green on wire, ??

ghs57

Similar problems with my old Thomas T-133. Fortunately, it has a Denso started that can be rebuilt. The contacts in the starter wear down and don't make a good connection over time. Only a few dollars for new contacts, and a few hours R&Ring the starter. Otherwise, it's a bad battery contact, despite looking perfectly fine.

Do the easy cheap stuff first. Cleaning terminals is usually free. Just had to do that on my S175 when it "clicked" a few weeks ago. Cheaper than a new battery, which is what I thought was the problem (7 year old Interstate battery).

Latest posts