JD 260 Skid steer parking brake engages while moving

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hdokes

Greetings all,

Hope to find someone that may have a handle on an issue that I am having with my 260. My intent is to be as concise as possible here so as to drill down into what the issue may be.... so.... here goes.

Symptom:

Parking brake engages while in motion. When this happens there is reverse pressure placed on the control arms and an absolutely excruciating sound of brake pads working against the forward moving motors.

Background:

When we first acquired the skid steer we had this issue and were able to track it down to the alternator having been rewired incorrectly. It was not charging the battery. We would jumper the machine to get it started which put a brief charge on the battery and by doing so would bring the battery voltage above 12 volts. Once running, the battery voltage would drop down and as it crossed over 12 volts and below there was not enough voltage to hold the solenoid in place and the parking brake would creep in. Correcting the alternator corrected this behavior for months.

Now, the problem has crept back in. Battery voltage however is where it needs to be. Well above 12 volts.

Observations:

It now seems to only occur when in motion and after moving approximately 30 feet or more. It is not always at the same time. The control arms lock up and the parking brake light is sometimes, not always, flashing quickly and dimly. Sometimes I can put the parking brake switch in the on position and then switch the parking brake off and the light will clear but the brake is still on... other times I can't get the parking brake light to come off at all. What does 'reset' the condition every time is turning off the machine and letting it set about 5 to 10 minutes and then turning it back on. Parking brake switch and light work normally and when taking it out of park you can hear/feel the hydraulics kick in but once you start moving... any time after moving approximately 30 feet or more it will happen again.

As this occurs the peddle controls are still fully active so I do not believe it to be a hydraulic issue or an issue with a safety interlock such as the seat belt to which the light is always off when the seat belt is engaged. All gauges are in good shape and reading properly.

I have attempted to identify the park brake solenoid to prove the theory that it is an electrical issue by testing the solenoid, and if good, bypassing the park brake switch and activate the solenoid full time (for testing purposes only) however I can find nothing that actually identifies the solenoid's location. I have a full technical manual but I do not see it's location in the manual. I see two prominent solenoids, one on the left side of the seat attached to the side wall and one attached to a manifold block where the hydraulic oil filter attaches next to the return line. I am assuming the one on the manifold block is probably it but would like to have confirmation. Please see attached.

Closing:

Outside of this issue, when the unit is running it performs very well. I acquired it after I found it sitting outside for a year due to a blown out main return hydraulic line. I replaced that along with four other lines that had hardened and cracked from sitting dormant for that period. I suspect I will have to replace others as I continue to exercise it.

Thank you in advanced for any assistance that may/can be provided.

Attachments

• IMG_20231103_163134.jpg
    IMG_20231103_163134.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20231103_163140.jpg
    IMG_20231103_163140.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hdokes

Wow.... plenty of views but no offers of "Try this!"

A bit of an update. I have ruled out both the seat and seat belt switch. Both are operating properly. I have isolated it to an electrical issue however. I found the wire that goes from the ignition switch to the parking brake switch becomes exceedingly hot... burnt the tip of my finger. The spade to which it connects on the ignition switch has baked and has deformed/discolored the spade connection. I am now trying to isolate where the major current draw is coming from. Will report once I identify.

ice26metal

I have a 2003 JD 250 series 2 so it shares an awful lot electrically as well mechanically. i have had similar issues and it is still parked in my dump trailer as i was loading logs when i last had an issue and im hell bent on tracking down the root cause.

I believe I have a solenoid coil on one of the pedal circuits that has become shorted or very high resistance making my fuse blow.

to get it home I cut the parking brake solenoid electrical and hard wired 12v to move it.

On further examination i pulled the control board from the overhead and noticed the Mosfet feeding the parking brake circuits was fried. All the rest of the board functions work other than unlocking now.

Since I am now disabled and money is a lot harder to come by, I may end up Isolating the parking / safety circuits to a toggle switch after i figure out which coil is bad.

OP
OP
H

hdokes

Hello ice26metal,

I have repaired the spade that the hot wire going from the ignition switch to the parking brake switch is connected to and it has made a world of difference regarding the parking brake kicking in on it's own during travel. Hasn't resolved the issue completely as there is still an issue of a high current draw and heating up of the spade but as long as I maintain good connectivity the brake does not kick in.

I have long since felt that the design in these JD 2X0 models is a very poor design that allows for the parking brake to kick in when the unit is in motion. One or the other should and must be disengaged before the other is engaged. As such I have seriously considered isolating the parking circuit and making it manually operated only. It is not in any way worth the real possibility of eating up the brake and drive system together when both are simultaneously engaged.

OP
OP
H

hdokes

Thank you for the link 8875-skid. I have placed a purchase as that is the manual I need for my model. The manual I have already is for newer generations and does not match up entirely. The price on your link is quite reasonable.