JD 250 Skid steer boom cylinder issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Forester

Pulled the boom cylinder to replace the seals since I had a steady leak. I bought this less than a year ago used but it's obviously seen some repairs. I noticed a few nicks in the rod guide and blown rings so I was thinking this would be an easy repair. When I got the rod all the way out I was horrified to find the lock nut apparently overtightened, stripped threads and the rod end deformed from what appears to be striking metal near the cylinder base. I'll try to post some pictures to show the extent. Anyone have experience with this kind of mess? Any ideas on how to proceed or am I left with shelling out nearly a grand for a replacement? So this is my first post to this forum. How do I add a photo?

flyerdan

If there is nothing wrong with the barrel, a good shop should be able to make a new rod for less than a grand. Not sure how it could have gotten deformed, especially if the nut was over tightened; if it wasn't threaded all the way on I could see it hitting the back, but one would assume that the cylinder wouldn't be manufactured so that it could damage itself when fully retracted, but who knows.
Picture links, as well as any kind of formatting, has to be hand coded to make it show up, the best advice I can give if you don't want to mess with it is to just drop a text link to where the picture resides online that ends with .jpg, like this:
http:www/mybfolder.net/jd250/badcyl.jpg
and one of us will be along to sort it.

Tazza

Staff member
If there is nothing wrong with the barrel, a good shop should be able to make a new rod for less than a grand. Not sure how it could have gotten deformed, especially if the nut was over tightened; if it wasn't threaded all the way on I could see it hitting the back, but one would assume that the cylinder wouldn't be manufactured so that it could damage itself when fully retracted, but who knows.
Picture links, as well as any kind of formatting, has to be hand coded to make it show up, the best advice I can give if you don't want to mess with it is to just drop a text link to where the picture resides online that ends with .jpg, like this:
http:www/mybfolder.net/jd250/badcyl.jpg
and one of us will be along to sort it.
depending on the damage, it ma be reparable, small marks on the rod are ok, as long as they are not sharp, the seal will conform to it. I don't know why the end would look beaten up though, It would be real hard to strip threads, they are very big and strong, pictures would indeed help

farmshop

depending on the damage, it ma be reparable, small marks on the rod are ok, as long as they are not sharp, the seal will conform to it. I don't know why the end would look beaten up though, It would be real hard to strip threads, they are very big and strong, pictures would indeed help
If the barrel and piston are ok I would think a rod should be available from Deere otherwise you could check loader parts source to see if they have a aftermarket one