JD 240 series 2 electrical question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

putland_22

I noticed today well doing some work that for some reason on occasion when i would turn my key to the on position but not to the start it would just start sometimes like there was a short? So i found 2 wires under the cab that looked to be pinched and fixed them then notice while i was putting all the panels back on that there was a wire that was really wire to the touch its a orange wire that goes onto the altenator with what i believe is a 55w resistor inline on it. It has a ring terminal on the altenator side and a 2 pin plug on the other that plugs into a 2 prawn plug that has a yellow and a brown wire to it. Is this normal for a resistor to be warm to the touch even when the machine is not running?

Tazza

Staff member
I don't think it should be, could your key switch be not turning off the power properly?
If its warm, its draining power. When the key is off, it shouldn't.....

OP
OP
P

putland_22

I don't think it should be, could your key switch be not turning off the power properly?
If its warm, its draining power. When the key is off, it shouldn't.....
I was thinking that, i took it off just unplugged it and removed it off the altenator and there seems to be no problems with anything battery is charging according to the bat gauge and lights all work. The one thing i was wondering is my fuel gauge does not work and the other day when i turn the ignition to the on position it just started on its own and has been doing it intermitantly so i am wondering if maybe my gauge cluster has a short in it or is there a wire shorted somewhere.

Tazza

Staff member
I was thinking that, i took it off just unplugged it and removed it off the altenator and there seems to be no problems with anything battery is charging according to the bat gauge and lights all work. The one thing i was wondering is my fuel gauge does not work and the other day when i turn the ignition to the on position it just started on its own and has been doing it intermitantly so i am wondering if maybe my gauge cluster has a short in it or is there a wire shorted somewhere.
It does sound like a short somewhere. It never hurts to check the harnesses where they come in contact with the frame. Sadly this is not an easy task.....