Jcb 260 wont start cant raise bucket to access engine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Silvercreek

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum looking for some help. I have a jcb 260 skid steer that I foolishy let my excavator guy use. He ran it out of fuel and now it won't start. I tried to bleed the fuel at the filter then cracked all the injection lines at the injectors and cranked the engine but get no fuel at the injectors. I have to raise the boom in order to gain access to the engine copartment but not sure how. I had a jcb service guy come out I fully explained the condition saying it probably needs a lift pump due to running it out of fuel. He came out and said you probably need a new lift pump which I already to him that. I asked him if he could raise the bucket to get access to the engine and he said he didn't know how. I couldn't understand why they even sent the guy out.. I was quite frustrated. I love my jcb and learned the hard lesson, again, don't let others use your equipment and tools. If someone could help me out I would great appreciate it. Thank you.

reaperman

Is that the model that only has one lift arm and the cab tilts forward? I wish I had some insight. If engine access is only available with the lift arm, there should be some kind of manual hydraulic cylinder that is capable of raising the arm and a lock mechanism to hold it in place. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
S

Silvercreek

Is that the model that only has one lift arm and the cab tilts forward? I wish I had some insight. If engine access is only available with the lift arm, there should be some kind of manual hydraulic cylinder that is capable of raising the arm and a lock mechanism to hold it in place. Keep us posted.
Yes this has the single boom arm and I need to be able to raise it to access the engine compartment. I absolutely love this machine as the visibility is fantastic but I'm now learning about this drawback. You would think there would be a simple solution to it. Engineers a lot of time don't think of the mechanics who need to work on them. Of course my understanding of all skid steers they can't be moved easily if dead, something I don't understand why they don't have a bypass for that.

flyerdan

Yes this has the single boom arm and I need to be able to raise it to access the engine compartment. I absolutely love this machine as the visibility is fantastic but I'm now learning about this drawback. You would think there would be a simple solution to it. Engineers a lot of time don't think of the mechanics who need to work on them. Of course my understanding of all skid steers they can't be moved easily if dead, something I don't understand why they don't have a bypass for that.
Does it have mechanical valves for the boom? If so, you could hold it in the up position while someone in another machine lifted the bucket with a chain.
If not, does it have an emergency boom lower circuit like the Bobcats do? Probably not since it's a side exit, but it still should have a way to lower, which in theory can be reversed to raise it.

foton

Does it have mechanical valves for the boom? If so, you could hold it in the up position while someone in another machine lifted the bucket with a chain.
If not, does it have an emergency boom lower circuit like the Bobcats do? Probably not since it's a side exit, but it still should have a way to lower, which in theory can be reversed to raise it.
If you have access to another machine or chain hoist I would think that you could remove the lines to the cylinder and use the other machine to move the bucket where it needs to be but you will loose some oil. use common sense about removing hoses under load and pressure.

OP
OP
S

Silvercreek

If you have access to another machine or chain hoist I would think that you could remove the lines to the cylinder and use the other machine to move the bucket where it needs to be but you will loose some oil. use common sense about removing hoses under load and pressure.
It does have an emergency lowering valve from what I understand. I will try lifting it tomorrow but I heard it has a check valve somewhere to prevent from lifting, you can only lower it. Seems silly to me. Im going to look for the check valve and see if I can bypass it. Yes, the other option is to disconnect the lines to the cylinder but im hoping for a less messy alternative. Thank you all for your input.

OP
OP
S

Silvercreek

It does have an emergency lowering valve from what I understand. I will try lifting it tomorrow but I heard it has a check valve somewhere to prevent from lifting, you can only lower it. Seems silly to me. Im going to look for the check valve and see if I can bypass it. Yes, the other option is to disconnect the lines to the cylinder but im hoping for a less messy alternative. Thank you all for your input.
So I figured out how to raise it up. I put a battery charger on it and cranked the engine over while hitting the hydraulics on then I raised the bucket with the control stick while cranking the engine. Im sure the starter and battery weren't too happy with it but it worked. while I cranked it. It took a bit but I was able to raise the bucket up and put in the cylinder lock. Worked great. Now I hope the lift pump will get me running again. Thanks for everyone's input.