JCB 165

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

doc007d

I have purched A second hand JCB 165 built in 95 its my first bobcat got it for a good price as it had A blown motor looking at putting A kubota 2203 engine in it as they have them in stok hear, It was running a peugeot engine but it is totaly u/s what are your thoughts on this modification, Cheers

Tazza

Staff member
It really depends on the mounting. How is it coupled up? pretty sure the fly wheels will be different, so you will need to modify the adaptor t transfer power to the pumps.
Can you get piccies up?

OP
OP
D

doc007d

It really depends on the mounting. How is it coupled up? pretty sure the fly wheels will be different, so you will need to modify the adaptor t transfer power to the pumps.
Can you get piccies up?
Hi there Tazza yer all the mounts are differant including engine and pump but this engine comes with the pump drive plate assy also so I can bolt the pumps stright up to the engine, But been tossing up between the kubota v2203 and perkins 404d engine the kubota engine is compleet ready to go but the perkins I still have to sort out the pump drive plat witch shouldnt be hard to do but time isnt on my side as i need this mechine going as have work for it, I supose I am answering my own question but just not sure if the kubota will put out the power I need, by spec it will but thought I would ask you guys befor I purchs it tho Cheers

OP
OP
D

doc007d

Can you get piccies up?
yes its rated at 46hp but what do you mean buy pug I havent heard of that term befor the motor that was in it was A 41hp engine and looking at the power chart at standerad constant opperating use the 2203 will be putting out 40hp witch I think should be enough, I think considering what it had in it befor Ps dont know why it wont let you post on the other post as it wouldnt let me eather so I thought I would through this one back up hear on your previous one and go from there cheers

Tazza

Staff member
yes its rated at 46hp but what do you mean buy pug I havent heard of that term befor the motor that was in it was A 41hp engine and looking at the power chart at standerad constant opperating use the 2203 will be putting out 40hp witch I think should be enough, I think considering what it had in it befor Ps dont know why it wont let you post on the other post as it wouldnt let me eather so I thought I would through this one back up hear on your previous one and go from there cheers
Pug was Pugeout, i thought you mentioned that it had one of those in it....
I see no reason why the V2203 won't work, it will have a little more power than the old one, as long as you can get the mounts to work. Hopefully you can pick up a good used one, new they are a little spendy.

OP
OP
D

doc007d

Pug was Pugeout, i thought you mentioned that it had one of those in it....
I see no reason why the V2203 won't work, it will have a little more power than the old one, as long as you can get the mounts to work. Hopefully you can pick up a good used one, new they are a little spendy.
lol yer it did have a pug in it, Couldnt find A second hand one so had to out lay for a new one picked it up to day as need this mechine up and running asap wasnt to bad in price got the 2203 for 7 grand complet with radiator and another grand for the pump plat and gear drive so the pumps can bolt up to the engine so 8 grand all up and the mechine cost me next to nothing so to me it was the better way to go as now I know the engine is 100% all that can play up on it is the pumps and touch wood are ok as got the old engine going for a short time to test the hyd system and it tested ok, tomorrow will be making up mounts for the engine and pumps and then fit the engine will keep yous informed on how I go with this retro fit as A few have been done with perkins engins but none that I know off with the kubota engines.

OP
OP
D

doc007d

lol yer it did have a pug in it, Couldnt find A second hand one so had to out lay for a new one picked it up to day as need this mechine up and running asap wasnt to bad in price got the 2203 for 7 grand complet with radiator and another grand for the pump plat and gear drive so the pumps can bolt up to the engine so 8 grand all up and the mechine cost me next to nothing so to me it was the better way to go as now I know the engine is 100% all that can play up on it is the pumps and touch wood are ok as got the old engine going for a short time to test the hyd system and it tested ok, tomorrow will be making up mounts for the engine and pumps and then fit the engine will keep yous informed on how I go with this retro fit as A few have been done with perkins engins but none that I know off with the kubota engines.
Just thought I would let yous know I have the v2203 engine fitted up to my JCB and it wasent to bad A retro fit at all the only down side was I had to remove the engine fan and fit A thormo fan as I had to lower the radiator so I didnt have to modify the rear door as I am not A big belever in thermo fans will post some pics showing the new engine, and one thing I am inpresed about this mechine is its lift hight for its size it has a mighty lift hight there isnt many trucks out there it wouldnt be able to load by the looks.

Tazza

Staff member
Just thought I would let yous know I have the v2203 engine fitted up to my JCB and it wasent to bad A retro fit at all the only down side was I had to remove the engine fan and fit A thormo fan as I had to lower the radiator so I didnt have to modify the rear door as I am not A big belever in thermo fans will post some pics showing the new engine, and one thing I am inpresed about this mechine is its lift hight for its size it has a mighty lift hight there isnt many trucks out there it wouldnt be able to load by the looks.
Glad to hear you are up and running. You didn't waste any time doing it either!
Waiting on seeing pictures.
As you are using thermo fans, i'd make sure you have a good temperature gauge, the thing you don't want to risk is a fan stopping for some stupid reason and cooking the engine. I'm sure it will be fine though, but never hurts to be extra cautions.

OP
OP
D

doc007d

Glad to hear you are up and running. You didn't waste any time doing it either!
Waiting on seeing pictures.
As you are using thermo fans, i'd make sure you have a good temperature gauge, the thing you don't want to risk is a fan stopping for some stupid reason and cooking the engine. I'm sure it will be fine though, but never hurts to be extra cautions.
Thanks Tazza yer I know what you mean about the thermo fans I am not real keen on them but was the only option at this point off time, But yes got A good VDO merfy guage in it because as you say it is to easy to cook an engine and esp A brand new one at that. Pics will be coming soon