Is there a source out there to get a new pad for the safety bar?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fefanatic

I have a 743 that the pad on the safety bar is in sad shape. Short of buying a new bar is there a source for a new pad out there?

Tazza

Staff member
Sadly no, the foam in molded to the bar. The only other way is to get something like a pool noodle and glue it to it.

OP
OP
F

Fefanatic

Sadly no, the foam in molded to the bar. The only other way is to get something like a pool noodle and glue it to it.
Yea, my wife suggested that also. I drew the line when she said she had some pink ones I could use. lol..

mark18mwm

I have been around race cars my whole life. Every car needs roll bar padding. Now days they make fire retardant padding for that purpose. But years ago, the most common thing to use was foam pipe insulation that you can get at any hardware store. It comes in many sizes, so if your bar is say 1" buy 1" padding. Then when you have the padding on the bar, wrap it tightly with black tape. The tape keeps it on the bar and by wrapping it tight it compresses it so it don't move. Wrap the entire piece of foam, not just several spots. It gives the foam protection from rubbing, ripping, absorbing water etc. It might sound crude but it works very well.

mmsllc

I have been around race cars my whole life. Every car needs roll bar padding. Now days they make fire retardant padding for that purpose. But years ago, the most common thing to use was foam pipe insulation that you can get at any hardware store. It comes in many sizes, so if your bar is say 1" buy 1" padding. Then when you have the padding on the bar, wrap it tightly with black tape. The tape keeps it on the bar and by wrapping it tight it compresses it so it don't move. Wrap the entire piece of foam, not just several spots. It gives the foam protection from rubbing, ripping, absorbing water etc. It might sound crude but it works very well.
Plumbing foam is the best (& cheapest) thing to use. I can not imagine buying a new part just for the padding issue. You can also go with two-layers of foam, if you'd like even more padding. That oughta help keep ya comfy for a good while.