Is there a breather vent on a 743B chaincase?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

portsample

I'd like to do an aggressive pressure washing of the top of chaincase beneath the pump. Is there a vent tube or breather in this area that I'll need to block off, or avoid all together? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dfb

I'd like to do an aggressive pressure washing of the top of chain box beneath the pump. Is there a vent tube or breather in this area that I'll need to block off, or avoid all together? Thanks in advance.
On my 742b it is under the parking brake pedal.

OP
OP
P

portsample

Curious. The forward access plate is directly beneath the parking brake foot pedal on my 743B. Had it off a few weeks ago when I changed the chaincase lubricant. No vent in the plate or nearby. Page three in the 743 parts manual has a schematic that shows something called a breather, (p/n 6558506) just behind the aft chaincase access plate (Figure 1). However, I cannot find such a thing on my 743B. It is pretty dirty and cruddy in that area. Has anyone run across such a thing on their 743B? I am wondering how protected it would be from pressure washer spray. Thanks in advance.
breather.png

dfb

I had water leaking into my chain case, to figure out where it was coming from and confirm the repair I used a Smoke Generating machine used in my shop for locating Evap or exhaust system leaks. I plumbed it into the fill plug at the front of the case. Even without a smoke machine, I suppose you could plumb just low pressure air to yours and listen for where it is escaping. This might be better done with an assistant to control/meter the airflow to prevent pressurizing the case and blowing a seal out.
It worked for good for me, my machine had multiple leaks from different access covers, once I had them all fixed I knew it was a done deal.

Davross22

Great Idea using the smoke machine, love that. It would be a worry if the smoke started to come out the axle seals. I think we would know that leak before that action was performed.
Anyhow back to the chain case. What oil are we putting in the 743 cases these days? I've been using a cheap engine oil for a number of years now and the chains seem to be in good condition, however always open to suggestions. Try not to apply too much pressure down there, you don't want to blow the seal out on top of the chamber. In the remote areas I use a pump spray bottle. A little slower and a whole less pressure. Done regularly it works well and certainly uses a whole lot less water.
Keep up the brainstorming guys.
From down under, catch you all soon.