Intro to another new guy

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SlowDave

I am new here and new to skid steers. I am constantly fixing up old buildings and on the current one I have extremely limited access so I am thinking about purchasing a S70 or one of the older narrow machines. Unfortunately there just isn't room to squeeze my tractor in there. Also my helper's past injuries are troubling him more and more so what he used to be able to do by hand and with a jack hammer and power wheel barrow aren't going to be happening going forward.

So it is time to purchase a skid steer. Any advice as to models I should look at or what to avoid would be greatly appreciated. If you have one that fits our needs let me know. We have a pretty complete machine and fabrication shop so we are not afraid of one that needs some work. We are located in Tucson AZ but we often drive to other states to pick up equipment.

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Thank you. I am in the pre-purchase education phase right now. It is better to get educated before the purchase when the education is still free.

wings5j

Welcome to the site. There are a lot of good items. In the archives that will help you out. My own experience is pretty limited. I've put in about 600 hours on my 742B and it has been a good machine. The 742/743 series predate the computerized models but you may want something newer. The regulars will chime in soon I am sure and we have some great experience on the site.

Good luck. You will enjoy a skid steer and soon you will wonder how you did without it.

brdgbldr

You should try to figure out the widest machine you would want for your jobs. The little narrow machines, 36" wide, like the S70 are high demand and always go for a premium. Even the walk behinds go for just as much or more than larger machines.

I do agree with getting a pre-computerized machine. I just got my first computerized machine and had to have a Bobcat technician come out to calibrate it after I did some repairs. NOT CHEAP! $160/hr with travel time and then mileage also. I did all the hard work and all he had to do was plug in the computer and tap a few keys.

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Yes I have notice the premium prices, less is more. I do want a smaller machine since the whole point is getting into areas I can't get my tractor. The last house I did we had to dig a 4'x4'x60' trench for a concrete culvert we were building. We dug it by hand and wheelbarrowed the dirt out to where the tractor could access it. Then we had to wheelbarrow the concrete in. A loader wouldn't have helped with the digging but it sure would have helped hauling the concrete and dirt.

On the current project I had my helper hand dig for the slab and foundation on my shop expansion. It took him three weeks and I think I drove him to drink. At times he was discussing which toe to cut off to get out of it.

We are always fighting tight spaces so it is time to bite the bullet and get the right tool for the job.

Gervs

Welcome to the site! I just bought my 440B this spring but I have used it a ton. You will love having a little machine it has paid for itself just by saving my back lol.

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

I am thinking about a 443B that is for sale near me. I think the asking is a bit high but there is some value in not having to drive to another state only to find that it isn't as represented. This is particularly true with fuel prices.

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Well I purchase the 443B this afternoon. 845 hours on it and the hour meter looks original and no indiction of tampering. Everything else looked consistent with those hours. No oil leaks. All the hoses and seals looked good. It started right up cold. The sellers were a super nice Mexican couple who had built up a landscaping business through hard work. Really an American dream type of thing. I love people like that, down to earth and hard working.

Latest posts