In-Cab Aux Flow/Pressure/Temp Readout?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thetool

I have a customer who has inquired about adding to his Bobcat an in-cab readout that would display aux flow, pressure and temperature info. He runs different attachments and states that each has a different sweet spot.
I told him already that he could add a deluxe panel and find the "sweet spots" through engine rpm, but he said the display would be better because he could also use the info to help spot poor attachment performance before real trouble set in. He lost a motor in his cold planer and it also hurt his machine, costing him dearly. He has multiple operators, and that can hurt him from a maintenance and repair standpoint.
I've pretty much covered his cheaper alternatives that I know about. Also, he likes "bells and whistles"......=).
I have been searching for an already-available kit but have come up empty.
Anybody know anything about such a kit?

bobcat_ron

I've seen a digi-tachometer and a pressure gauge set up on a Bobcat that was adapted for forestry use, way before Bobcat had their Forestry kit. The dude also thought about using an EGT gauge for his engine, but that's only because he figured out the magic bolt for the injection pump.

skidsteer.ca

Pressure and temp would be easy, anolog guages. Flow would require a flow meter, some can be had for $400 ,but they don't have a remote display so the pressure line would have to be routed so the meter could be read. I'm sure there are some fancier ones that may have a remote read out.
Ken

Kelly

You could use a pressure gauge like Bobcat uses on the Brushcat. Maybe mount it on top of the boom arm there on the left. With the pressure gauge and a deluxe panel he should have plenty of information and enough bells and whistles to keep busy for quite a while.

OP
OP
thetool

thetool

You could use a pressure gauge like Bobcat uses on the Brushcat. Maybe mount it on top of the boom arm there on the left. With the pressure gauge and a deluxe panel he should have plenty of information and enough bells and whistles to keep busy for quite a while.
All good ideas but not what he wants.....=)
I figured if it was already available, if anybody knew it would be Ken.
I know how to do it and where to get the parts to do it, just wondering if such a thing already exists before I get into it. I don't want to design a $4000 kit when one already exists for $2500. Just guessing on the numbers, and I told him that, but he just spent about $8k on his repairs.
This may be a fun project. If he goes for it I'll be sure and post it.

TriHonu

There are a number of companies that produce digital flow/pressure/temp senders and remote displays for AC or DC.
Check out Hedland's Flo-Tech turbine flow meters, or search for "digital hydraulic flow meter" to locate other suppliers.
I have not heard of any pre-packaged kits. If he really wants in cab you will find the cost is significant.
As others have stated an analog flow gauge such as this flow meter with couplers on each end that he could attach to the boom couplers as needed would be a much cheaper solution. I have seen these meters mounted on some forestry mulchers, permanently plumbed on the attachment right in the operators line of sight for obvious reasons...

OP
OP
thetool

thetool

There are a number of companies that produce digital flow/pressure/temp senders and remote displays for AC or DC.
Check out Hedland's Flo-Tech turbine flow meters, or search for "digital hydraulic flow meter" to locate other suppliers.
I have not heard of any pre-packaged kits. If he really wants in cab you will find the cost is significant.
As others have stated an analog flow gauge such as this flow meter with couplers on each end that he could attach to the boom couplers as needed would be a much cheaper solution. I have seen these meters mounted on some forestry mulchers, permanently plumbed on the attachment right in the operators line of sight for obvious reasons...
Yeah thanks Trihonu, I've seen all these and have done some prelim research on cost to get him where he wants. We are both aware that the potential cost could be significant.
I ballparked him at about 4K just for components and he's still interested, and it's a challenge I'm loathe to walk away from.