I think its a safety bar

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bludorbronc

its the bar you pull down on your lap .it wont stay up when you get out .is there someway that i have the pivot points assembled wrong, a picture would be great.

Tazza

Staff member
What machine?
The earlier ones use a small spring for tension on 2 plates, if you replace the spring mostly it fixes the problem.

Fishfiles

What machine?
The earlier ones use a small spring for tension on 2 plates, if you replace the spring mostly it fixes the problem.
you made no mention of what model you have , there are upgrade kits for different machines for the saftey bar , "I only imagine you have a gas shock set up

OP
OP
B

bludorbronc

you made no mention of what model you have , there are upgrade kits for different machines for the saftey bar , "I only imagine you have a gas shock set up
I have a 542b. I have what looks like a bolt with the threads cut off and the head of the bolt is drilled and tapped for a small bolt and over the body of the main bolt there is a heavy spring,a kind of flat triangle looking piece of steel, and then the other end of the main bolt body it is drilled and tapped for a smaller bolt and it holds on an L looking piece of sheet metal,and then the safety bar fits on there some where.I hope this is clear as mud and you can make it out, I have been told that if the safety bar has been wore that it needs welded up (weld what and where to do what) If anybody is around Des Moines,Ia I'd be glad to look at the machine. Thanks Russ

bremery

I have a 542b. I have what looks like a bolt with the threads cut off and the head of the bolt is drilled and tapped for a small bolt and over the body of the main bolt there is a heavy spring,a kind of flat triangle looking piece of steel, and then the other end of the main bolt body it is drilled and tapped for a smaller bolt and it holds on an L looking piece of sheet metal,and then the safety bar fits on there some where.I hope this is clear as mud and you can make it out, I have been told that if the safety bar has been wore that it needs welded up (weld what and where to do what) If anybody is around Des Moines,Ia I'd be glad to look at the machine. Thanks Russ
I would try replacing the springs first before welding. I think they were about $2 each from Bobcat. If you do weld, start with very low amperage, otherwise you will blow a big hole in the safety bar.

Tazza

Staff member
I would try replacing the springs first before welding. I think they were about $2 each from Bobcat. If you do weld, start with very low amperage, otherwise you will blow a big hole in the safety bar.
Yep, change the springs first! been there bofore.

Tazza

Staff member
Just for curiosity sake - has anyone removed the safety bar and arm/bucket locks completely? Big no/no?
The previous owner of my 731 had removed both of these, it only had a lap belt.
I personally like the seat bar, it helps hold me in place. The pedal lock outs can be a pest if i just want to move the machine out of it home "bob port" i have to drop the seat bar to get the bucket off the ground. If i don't, i lean forward and push the lockout down and tilt the bucket up.
Thats just me, i like haveing it there to hold me in place a little more.

Latest posts