Hydraulic seeping into chain case

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

avri

Took it to dealer to replace chains and some bearings, on return the chain case would fill with hydraulic within a minute, returned for repair, now it is still happening, just in several hours. Could it be one of the hydraulic motors?

mmsllc

Yes. It could be. There is a seal that is (allegedly) located between the motors & the piece that they mount to. It should be a simple o-ring between each of those. What did you take the machine in for service? What was the original co Plaint??

OP
OP
A

avri

Yes. It could be. There is a seal that is (allegedly) located between the motors & the piece that they mount to. It should be a simple o-ring between each of those. What did you take the machine in for service? What was the original co Plaint??
Chain in chain case fell off because of bearings that failed. They replaced the bearings and chain. After I started it within a couple minutes it stopped moving with hydraulic noise. Hydraulic tank was empty, and chain case was over full. Called dealer and they took it back in and repaired it I though. Their repair just slowed the leak from a couple minutes to about 6 hours.

OP
OP
A

avri

Chain in chain case fell off because of bearings that failed. They replaced the bearings and chain. After I started it within a couple minutes it stopped moving with hydraulic noise. Hydraulic tank was empty, and chain case was over full. Called dealer and they took it back in and repaired it I though. Their repair just slowed the leak from a couple minutes to about 6 hours.
Sorry, this is a melrose 743, has a new motor and hydraulic pump, strong and nice machine

7LBSSMALLIE

Sorry, this is a melrose 743, has a new motor and hydraulic pump, strong and nice machine
carrier seals have failed. not that bad a fix if we don't have underlying issues. youre chains were replaced. question did one break, if so thatht will lock up unit and put a great of stress on carrier. so simple man terms, we got two drive motors goining into what we call call a carrier. simple shaft and sprocket that tranmits hyd pwr to mech pwr how to proceed from here? yank steering console remove center cover. prybar between the two any slop? if not remove both drive motors remove seals inspect. if viable r@r seals re asamble. often over looked is case drain filters if charge pressure cant get back to tank it will blow these seals out. if it was my 743and I got new chains etcc.unit worth keeping. this is how I would proceed. pull both motors reseal them kits 100.00 or less r@R carrier seals. 20 bucks each. be sure to replace hyd oil case drain and main filter. pull the broken off brass debris screen out of hyd tank. and roll on for the next twenty years.

OP
OP
A

avri

carrier seals have failed. not that bad a fix if we don't have underlying issues. youre chains were replaced. question did one break, if so thatht will lock up unit and put a great of stress on carrier. so simple man terms, we got two drive motors goining into what we call call a carrier. simple shaft and sprocket that tranmits hyd pwr to mech pwr how to proceed from here? yank steering console remove center cover. prybar between the two any slop? if not remove both drive motors remove seals inspect. if viable r@r seals re asamble. often over looked is case drain filters if charge pressure cant get back to tank it will blow these seals out. if it was my 743and I got new chains etcc.unit worth keeping. this is how I would proceed. pull both motors reseal them kits 100.00 or less r@R carrier seals. 20 bucks each. be sure to replace hyd oil case drain and main filter. pull the broken off brass debris screen out of hyd tank. and roll on for the next twenty years.
Thanks very much, all of what you recommended is very much what I was going to do. Live in Alaska, need it to move snow. Have a nice warm shop where it is always parked. I am sure it will far outlive me.

mmsllc

Thanks very much, all of what you recommended is very much what I was going to do. Live in Alaska, need it to move snow. Have a nice warm shop where it is always parked. I am sure it will far outlive me.
Rock on! It might be worth ordering a repair manual or downloading be one in order to see where the seals go & so on. Go slow when you take it apart. Best of luck.

OP
OP
A

avri

Rock on! It might be worth ordering a repair manual or downloading be one in order to see where the seals go & so on. Go slow when you take it apart. Best of luck.
After two trips to the dealership, a long list of excuses, and repairs that were still not done properly, I quickly realized that if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. It took more time to drive in to town to pick up the axle bearings and seals than it did to replace them. I will purchase a manual and do any further work myself. Thanks again