Hydraulic oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rickh2709

Hello all I bought a used L228 and everything has been working great. I bought a BrushWolf shredder. It goes through Hydraulic oil pretty quick. I bought five gallons from a New Holland dealer the first time and today I went to the same dealer and they sold me Hydraulic Transmission Oil. I am leery if these are compatible. Have had so many people tell me different things that I am getting confused. There is Hydraulic oil and Hydraulic fluid and now they sell me Hydraulic Transmission fluid. What's the differences?

foton

your best bet is to just use what the manual says to use , now it can be a same oil with a different name look at the sae requirements of the machine.

mrbb

DON"T want to mix things
you want to be using the same type fluid that is in it, as there not all compatible and can lead to issue's down the road
who's been doing the services on this machine, maybe ask them what they have been using?
or at least get correct info from NEW Holland dealer on what SHOULD be in there, and drain system and start a new with correct fluids, and FIX the leak while at it!

foton

I will say most fluids will not create a catastrophic failure by mixing. in that case people who rent attachments would have to drain the attachment and refill it with the correct fluid. I think mostly it is the conventional oils and synthetic ones and oil weight differences, most oils are even engineered to be able to be mixed. It is like a engine that burns oil and adding a quart of who knows what to who knows what thats in there . it is better than running dry.

mrbb

I will say most fluids will not create a catastrophic failure by mixing. in that case people who rent attachments would have to drain the attachment and refill it with the correct fluid. I think mostly it is the conventional oils and synthetic ones and oil weight differences, most oils are even engineered to be able to be mixed. It is like a engine that burns oil and adding a quart of who knows what to who knows what thats in there . it is better than running dry.
using / mixing different brands of the same like fluids, that have the same spec's are fine,
but the problem is , if you don;t know what Type of fluid is in a machine, mixing can create possible issues over time

the same goes for grease, NOT all grease is comparable , even when there mostly the same so called SPEC, they can have different reactions to being mixed!

will it destroy things ASAP, NO< it won't but its not the same as using the same and not mixing

oil isn;'t just OIL< or they wouldn't make so many different types of it,

foton

I will give you that , it is just sometimes not that black or white, a choice has to be made what is worse case scenario and make a call.

koko

Not much help here only to say not to use hyd/trans oil as you are not running any gears in your skid steer.

Ivan

Not much help here only to say not to use hyd/trans oil as you are not running any gears in your skid steer.
Why not. Trans hyd fluid is just a lighter weight oil than Hyd oil is and it has special additives it it for bearings and gear wear. Most gear tractors use tran hd fluid in them because the hyd oil sump is combined with the transmission . Older tractors used a heavy gear in tran and a lighter oil in the hyd system oil. I have a new gear drive tractor and it uses tran hyd fluild in trans mission and for the hyd. If you look at the oil speccs you can usually get compatable oil after market for a whole lot less money and many times this is the same company that the factory oil came from.

BG Scapes

May not hurt anything but performance. My 843 had nice clear fluid in it , pumped it out through the aux fitting while filling with aw32 . Now it feels much stronger .

mrbb

MY SKID HAS RED HYD OIL WOULD IT BE OK TO RUN SAY JD HYD OIL IN IT?
color alone is not a way to ID fluid, best advice is use what the OEM suggested
if your NOT sure what is in there, IMO< the best thing you can do is drain system and replace with KNOWN correct fluid.
might be costly, but new fluid ( filter too) when doing so) is never a bad thing
can call it an early PM< and gives peace of mind too
its your machine, do as you wish