hydraulic oil, iso68 vs 10w30/40 vs 20wX ?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tech.35058

in another thread, I see substitution of 10w30 motor oil suggested as a replacement for iso68. I really try to "use the right stuff" but the iso stuff is kind of obscure yet, ( & there fore "special", so pricier here) Is the iso68 "better" or is the commonly available motor oil an "upgrade"? If mixed, is there a compatibility issue? . My LX865 specifies "(10w40 motor oil)" in the hydraulics tank. My Mertz/Boxer specifies Dexron in early s/n, but ISO68 in the higher s/n, with the caution not to mix the two as it will damage the machine. ( so if I switch aux hyd attachments, I really need to flush each time? ) currently, I can purchase the iso68 oil at around $22/gallon in the 2 gallon jug locally, 10w40 is about $11/gallon in 5 gallon pail. I find where I can order ISO68 on internet (Ebay) roughly $12/gallon in 5 gallon pail. . . Since neither of these machines have "wet brakes" ( Well the 865 might, but it specifies plain motor oil) that is not an issue here. Has any one looked at the specs on this issue? Thanks, CE

Tazza

Staff member
Some people don't like using motor oils as they have additives. I peronally still run motor oil without issues. If you can't get ISO 68, i'd look at AW68 or something around that weight.
Everyone have their own ideas on oils, i for one just use whatever is the right weight for the tempreatures it will run in and what is a good price.
15 odd years ago, there was a sale on 20W50, i bought up about 300 litres of it in 5 litre bottles. I have used all but one bottle of it.