hydra-mac 8A lift cylinder seal kit?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1816case

I noticed the boom leaks down pretty good. It is a Mighty Mac ( hydra- Mac 8a) with 20hp onan. .. Rather than do one side thinking both while at it. Where would one get the seal kit? which part number? Thanks!

foton

If you have a good hydro repair shop near by give them a visit and let them size the cylinder and give you a parts price and a here it is go and put it in price, and go from there.

LeoB

I had my Hydra-Mac 8B boom cylinders redone locally here in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Cost was about $500. The cylinders needed seals and some scratches polished off on the piston. Shop guy told me they had a bear of a time getting the ends of both cylinders to come off so they could get inside. My luck would have been to ding up the cylinder rod and ruin the cylinder. So glad they did it. I saw the cylinders when they were opened up. Lots of gunk on the inside that needed to be cleaned out. No idea the last time they were apart. Tilt/curl cylinders for the bucket are next up.

In your initial post, you said "I noticed the boom leaks down pretty good...", to be clear, are you cylinders leaking or are you noticing your boom sags down by itself when you have something in the bucket? If the cylinders are not dripping oil and your boom sags down under load, your control valve could need new seals. In my case, my 8B's boom was sagging down and I had to nudge the hydraulics to lift it as I was moving from one point on a job to another. Not bad but annoying. My control valve's o-rings were bad. My hydraulic shop told me the wrong (too small) size o-rings were in my control valve and they were shot. They showed me the seals and they were definitely shot. One last thing, if your 8A's control valve has two black plastic caps about 1-1/2" in diameter on the size towards the back, be careful if you decide to take your valve apart. Those caps are very, very pricey if you screw them up.

If John Bugge ([email protected]) can't help you, let me know. Without looking, I'd bet the 8A and 8B boom cylinders are the same. I probably could get seal info from my hydraulic shop.

LeoB

Found my bill for the 8B's boom cylinder repairs. 2 seal kits were $82.82 plus tax. Labor was 3 hours @$125. In addition to the tear down, the other work was polish cylinder rod, flap wheel seal groves and barrel, wash parts, replace seals, reassemble.

solo machine

Found my bill for the 8B's boom cylinder repairs. 2 seal kits were $82.82 plus tax. Labor was 3 hours @$125. In addition to the tear down, the other work was polish cylinder rod, flap wheel seal groves and barrel, wash parts, replace seals, reassemble.
I agree, the price wasn't to bad. I worked at a hydraulic shop as a machinist. Sometimes the cylinders were a bear to get apart. Hot wrench and a long pipe.
They had a big one on the stand trying break loose the head gland. It came loose with a bang!!! The guy fell down hard onto the floor and broke his leg! What A day.....

OP
OP

1816case

I had my Hydra-Mac 8B boom cylinders redone locally here in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Cost was about $500. The cylinders needed seals and some scratches polished off on the piston. Shop guy told me they had a bear of a time getting the ends of both cylinders to come off so they could get inside. My luck would have been to ding up the cylinder rod and ruin the cylinder. So glad they did it. I saw the cylinders when they were opened up. Lots of gunk on the inside that needed to be cleaned out. No idea the last time they were apart. Tilt/curl cylinders for the bucket are next up.

In your initial post, you said "I noticed the boom leaks down pretty good...", to be clear, are you cylinders leaking or are you noticing your boom sags down by itself when you have something in the bucket? If the cylinders are not dripping oil and your boom sags down under load, your control valve could need new seals. In my case, my 8B's boom was sagging down and I had to nudge the hydraulics to lift it as I was moving from one point on a job to another. Not bad but annoying. My control valve's o-rings were bad. My hydraulic shop told me the wrong (too small) size o-rings were in my control valve and they were shot. They showed me the seals and they were definitely shot. One last thing, if your 8A's control valve has two black plastic caps about 1-1/2" in diameter on the size towards the back, be careful if you decide to take your valve apart. Those caps are very, very pricey if you screw them up.

If John Bugge ([email protected]) can't help you, let me know. Without looking, I'd bet the 8A and 8B boom cylinders are the same. I probably could get seal info from my hydraulic shop.
I raise the boom.. And it lowers its self back down to ground real slow but not so slow I can't see it moving..as I can.

LeoB

To 1816Case:

Based on my experience with my 8B while moving gravel, dirt and stump grinding chips last year, I saw the same problem you are talking about. My bucket was drifting down as I moved from one spot to another. While moving or just before dumping my bucket in the dump trailer, I had to, often more than once, to nudge the boom to raise.

I am in the process of completely refurbishing my 8B from the ground up. New Honda Repower engine, bearings, hydraulics, hoses, etc. My hydraulic shop told me my control valve o-rings were too small, 3/32" vs 1/8". In addition to being too small, they looked like my dog chewed on them. Really sad shape. Further, the hydraulic shop said my boom must have been leaking down (sagging). Spot on.

My money says your control valve needs some refurbishment. Not too bad to get to. Throw down a tarp and put some oil-dry on it. Disconnect your bucket , move your machine over the tarp, remove the seat and then T-handle control box. There are six hoses going to the valve plus two control rods. Hoses 1 and 3 are your boom. Hoses 2 and 4 are your bucket tilt/curl. Hoses 5 and 6 are your pressure/relief hoses. Four bolts hold the valve in place. Ta-Da, you have the valve in your hands.

Now the question is, do the work yourself or send the valve to a shop. Note my comment about the big black plastic covers on the valve in my first post above.

Attachments

• 8B_Valve_Body.jpg
    8B_Valve_Body.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP

1816case

To 1816Case:

Based on my experience with my 8B while moving gravel, dirt and stump grinding chips last year, I saw the same problem you are talking about. My bucket was drifting down as I moved from one spot to another. While moving or just before dumping my bucket in the dump trailer, I had to, often more than once, to nudge the boom to raise.

I am in the process of completely refurbishing my 8B from the ground up. New Honda Repower engine, bearings, hydraulics, hoses, etc. My hydraulic shop told me my control valve o-rings were too small, 3/32" vs 1/8". In addition to being too small, they looked like my dog chewed on them. Really sad shape. Further, the hydraulic shop said my boom must have been leaking down (sagging). Spot on.

My money says your control valve needs some refurbishment. Not too bad to get to. Throw down a tarp and put some oil-dry on it. Disconnect your bucket , move your machine over the tarp, remove the seat and then T-handle control box. There are six hoses going to the valve plus two control rods. Hoses 1 and 3 are your boom. Hoses 2 and 4 are your bucket tilt/curl. Hoses 5 and 6 are your pressure/relief hoses. Four bolts hold the valve in place. Ta-Da, you have the valve in your hands.

Now the question is, do the work yourself or send the valve to a shop. Note my comment about the big black plastic covers on the valve in my first post above.
Thanks!.. Maybe that is issue? skid was rebuilt at one point. stripped and painted. rams have '0' oil residue leaking out of the seals. very unlikely control valve was touched though. I can tell rams were removed when painted. Thanks again. I will look into a seal kit for contol valve ( if such a thing)

LeoB

On my 8B machine, I have a Gresen control valve. See the attachment. If you can't find seals, maybe a local shop can help you. My control valve was rebuilt by Kevin at Hydra-Fab (319-533-1338 or 319-378-1911) in Hiawatha Iowa. He knew what the valve was immediately when he saw what I had.

Attachments

• Gresen Control Valve.gif
    Gresen Control Valve.gif
    172 KB · Views: 67