How to get L785 home with a bad engine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jayv1980

Hello, I'm new here and have tried searching terms like tow, neutral, freewheel, and a few others. I apologize if I'm duplicating a question someone has already asked. I'm looking at buying a 1989 New Holland L785 with Perkins Diesel engine. It is about 2 hours from my house. The owner believes that the engine was damaged by using starter fluid and it will not start at all. It seems to be a good price (<$4000) for being in otherwise good shape, having a forklift attachment, bucket, door, heater, aux circuit, really high lift, and overall decent reviews from what I've read. It seems that in this price range, usually only tiny skid steers are available, and I dont mind tearing into the engine. I would plan to have a rollback towtruck transport it for me. My question is: What is the easiest way to get this machine into "neutral" for loading and unloading purposes? I am picturing getting it on the towtruck will be a lot easier than getting it off if I dont find some way to get it to roll freely. Is there some easy way to disengage the drive system? Or will I have to consider draining all the oil and taking some other steps? Ideally, I wouldnt need to drain several gallons of oil at this guys shop, but maybe that is the answer. The owner has a forklift that can load the machine... but once the truck backs up my driveway, I'll be on the clock trying to get it off. And I want to make sure that the driver doesnt come up with a solution that may damage anything just to get it off his truck. Any thoughts? Thank you!

flyerdan

The best way to search is to use Google and specify the site you want to check, ie:
L785 site:skidsteerforum.com
That will return results only from here, and it looks like your new machine should roll with the parking brake off, so if it will disengage you're golden. Hopefully Mike10 will chime in with more info.
If not, when the rollback gets it about where you want it, hose down the deck and dole out some of the cheapest dish soap the store has to help it slide down the deck. Soap on diamond plate really lowers the friction, and it won't take much to get it down. Tow truck operator would probably appreciate a pressure wash after it's off, so he won't slip when getting up there to chain down the next recovery.