How do I check Temperature Gauge and Sensor on 853

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Greg19

The needle on my temp gauge (round gauge) on my 853 never moves. Even after running for hours in 80 degree weather. I have found quite a few problems with this machine I inherited. The gauge is getting power. How do I check the gauge to see if it is actually working? Would I remove the ground wire then short the gauge to ground it and see if the needle moves? How would I check the sensor to see if it is working? The sensor only has one wire going to it. Thank you I appreciate the help! Greg

flyerdan

According to three books in the manual thread, there should be two wires going to the sensor, although the black one might be an aux. ground attached at the base or elsewhere.
The sender is a thermal resistor (Bobcat pn 6654202), so the best way to test the gauge would be to connect it to a decade box and see if you get the needle to swing. If that works, try running a ground wire from the body of the sensor to ground and see if the gauge works. It could be that someone used teflon tape or other sealer that insulates the sender from the block. But there should have been a two wire connector with a yellow/red and a black wire for it.

OP
OP
G

Greg19

According to three books in the manual thread, there should be two wires going to the sensor, although the black one might be an aux. ground attached at the base or elsewhere.
The sender is a thermal resistor (Bobcat pn 6654202), so the best way to test the gauge would be to connect it to a decade box and see if you get the needle to swing. If that works, try running a ground wire from the body of the sensor to ground and see if the gauge works. It could be that someone used teflon tape or other sealer that insulates the sender from the block. But there should have been a two wire connector with a yellow/red and a black wire for it.
It turned out the sensor was bad. Removing the sensor wire from the sensor and grounding the wire made the needle max out on the gauge. Thank you

Latest posts