Hoses

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mistersweeper

I am going through my new to me IH 4140. I have found a replacement pump for the steering. Loader parts source is supplying one. Should the other pumps and motors be taken off and "gone through" ? Is something one normally does? I was thinking if so, I would get LPS to do it. I have the skid steer loader in the garage with the seat assy and engine cover off anyway so it would be easier to take them off now rather than break down later. Also should the hoses all be raplaced now too. They look ok, but I can't really tell if they should be replaced at the same time. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
It depends on how deep you are in, if the pumps are out you may as well do it. At the least you can look and see the condition of the parts.
As for hoses, give them a bit of a twist, if they have cracks in them you should replace them. If they don't have cracks they should be fine. BUT if the hoses are in a hard to get to spot, replace them! nothing worse than having to replace them later on.

OP
OP
M

mistersweeper

It depends on how deep you are in, if the pumps are out you may as well do it. At the least you can look and see the condition of the parts.
As for hoses, give them a bit of a twist, if they have cracks in them you should replace them. If they don't have cracks they should be fine. BUT if the hoses are in a hard to get to spot, replace them! nothing worse than having to replace them later on.
When you say " look and see the condition of the parts" , what do you mean ? What do you look for with pumps and motors as to their condition. I don't have the parts off, it is just that it would be easier to remove now that one steering motor is off to remove the other side and the hydraulic motor. Maybe even the wheel motors. Considering the machine is 30 years old , I do expect to do repairs and maintenance .

OP
OP
M

mistersweeper

When you say " look and see the condition of the parts" , what do you mean ? What do you look for with pumps and motors as to their condition. I don't have the parts off, it is just that it would be easier to remove now that one steering motor is off to remove the other side and the hydraulic motor. Maybe even the wheel motors. Considering the machine is 30 years old , I do expect to do repairs and maintenance .
What would you expect a hydraulic repair shop do to a hyd motor or pump if it is in working condition when you take it in so you want to make sure it keeps on tickin'.

Tazza

Staff member
What would you expect a hydraulic repair shop do to a hyd motor or pump if it is in working condition when you take it in so you want to make sure it keeps on tickin'.
What i do with pumps and motors is inspect them for scores in the moving parts. The piston pumps will have a valve plate the rotating group runs on, these get scores and the scores allow oil to by-pass. These can generally be repaired with a sheet of glass and wet and dry sand paper and bring the pump back to near new condition. The motors i have worked on are only geroler style, you check for scores in the rollers and housing and the part that rotates inside the rollers (not sure on the name of it). Vane pumps, you look in the cam ring (the outer housing that the vanes run in) and look for scores which aren't a big deal with a vane pump as they wear in but if there is chatter marks like bumps this is a problem. As when the vane spins around it will jump over the pump and loose a bit of pressure as it does, i think this is mainly caused when the machine has been run with the rpm down too low for the vanes to fully extend, they are almost there but not quite and smack around a bit.
I hope thats of a little use.... if it makes sense!

OP
OP
M

mistersweeper

What i do with pumps and motors is inspect them for scores in the moving parts. The piston pumps will have a valve plate the rotating group runs on, these get scores and the scores allow oil to by-pass. These can generally be repaired with a sheet of glass and wet and dry sand paper and bring the pump back to near new condition. The motors i have worked on are only geroler style, you check for scores in the rollers and housing and the part that rotates inside the rollers (not sure on the name of it). Vane pumps, you look in the cam ring (the outer housing that the vanes run in) and look for scores which aren't a big deal with a vane pump as they wear in but if there is chatter marks like bumps this is a problem. As when the vane spins around it will jump over the pump and loose a bit of pressure as it does, i think this is mainly caused when the machine has been run with the rpm down too low for the vanes to fully extend, they are almost there but not quite and smack around a bit.
I hope thats of a little use.... if it makes sense!
Yeah , that makes sense. I gonna take off my pumps and motors and send to Loader Parts Source to go through since I'm into it as far as I am . Thanks, at least now I have an idea what is involved in pump wear.

Tazza

Staff member
Yeah , that makes sense. I gonna take off my pumps and motors and send to Loader Parts Source to go through since I'm into it as far as I am . Thanks, at least now I have an idea what is involved in pump wear.
Sending them to the boys at LPS is a good idea, they know exactly what to look for and have access to seal kits for the pumps/motors too.