Honing cylinder after replacement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jp8775

Has anyone honed a dry cylinder after installment to final fit the piston. I will be doing it on a v1702 after replacing two of the cylinders to fit the pistons. I have the equipment ( snap on CFL10 precision hone) I did it many years ago just want to know if there are any skip hops I should know about particular to the kubota engine. If people are interested I could post a video. The cylinders should come close enough that they do not need to be bored just honed the last .003 to .005 and to make sure they are round. I could not find anything on this in the forum unless I missed it.

SkidRoe

What do you mean by "dry cylinder"? No lube? We have a Sun hone and have never used it dry, always with a bit of light oil. If the cylinder is not being bored oversize, typically we do just enough honing to re-establish the cross-hatching to seat the rings - less than a thou or two - to keep it within the established fit tolerance for the specific engine.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

I mean a dry cylinder liner. Pressed in. I have a Snap on CFL10 same as a Lisle 15000 hone. This is not a glaze buster but a hone. They are done dry no oil. Cleaning with alcohol every so often. I have done this before start with .80 grit stone end with 180. You can remove about .003 in 3 min. The replacement cylinders are usually .003 to .005 oversize at most. All you are really doing is making sure they are round after pressing them in. I have an idea what I am doing just not done a Kubota yet. Any knowledge shared would be help full. Wet cylinder liners usually do not need to be honed to size as they are not pressed in sealed by o rings.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

I am thinking about doing a video of the process of pressing out and in the cylinder as well as fitting the piston with a hone.

SkidRoe

Gotcha - There is really nothing special here - hone and fit the pistons as you normally would. Sounds like you have plenty of experience.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

Does anyone know if the V1702 cylinders from Kubota need to be bored after installation or are they close enough to just hone? Semi finished cylinder need to be bored but he kubota cylinders do not say semi finished.

foton

have you checked your ring gap clearance? are the cylinders already cross hatched? is it possible you are overthinking this, I know you want to get it right the first time, but sometimes I know I can get carried away on the want if thing.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

When I say honing I am not talking about glaze busting or dingle ball, My hone is snap on cfl10 same as the Lisle 15000 that will remove .003-5, in a few min. Some liners come close enough that you can just hone them to the last few thousands to fit. Some liners are 2-5 mm undersized that require boring to with in a few .001. The type of hone I am using can also square up a liner that is tapered. A glaze buster will just follow taper. So I was wondering if the Kubota (Actual) liners are the kind that can just be honed to fit the pistons or do they need to be bored.

North Idaho Wolfman

Does anyone know if the V1702 cylinders from Kubota need to be bored after installation or are they close enough to just hone? Semi finished cylinder need to be bored but he kubota cylinders do not say semi finished.
If your installing new sleeves they need to be bored.
Trying to hone to size would be highly inaccurate and would not be round enough even with a good hone like the Lisle 15000.
The aftermarket sleeves are even further out than the factory sleeves.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

I was told that the Kubota sleeves are with in honing but that is not the case as it sounds, Thats ok I mays as well just buy cheaper after market sleeves then, I have a guy bore them and I will finish them to fit each piston. I some cases all I need it just one piston and sleeve to get the engine back and running anyway. Thanks for your info.