Homeowner machine, maybe limited for business later

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pete c

I have a decent number of hours driving a friends Mustangs, years ago when he had a playscape install business. Always enjoyed it. I considered it more play than work. 40 hours a week in one might change that and I am gainfully employed, so not looking to start up any kind of serious business. However, I would love to have one for projects around the house/snow removal and if I do chose to buy one, I could see myself doing modest jobs now and then for beer money. And who knows, maybe a few years down the road I might want to make it into a "legit" business. Also, I have a 19 year old son, who doesn't know what he wants to do yet. Maybe owning an excavating business could be an option. There are worse things to do for a buck! I've been lurking on various sites and looking at CL. As best I can tell, 12-15K seems to be the low end of decent machines that aren't going to be money pits. Another few thousand for a trailer, maybe 10K for an older 1 ton diesel truck. Would like to hear thoughts from those that have been there, done that. What is involved with licensing/insurance. I would also be interested in renting it out. I suspect that opens a whole new can of paperwork worms.

Tazza

Staff member
It's not a bad idea, even better if you can use it around your own property too, learn how to operate it better.
Hopefully others can give advise about their experiences, as i know some do snow removal, not sure how much money is in that though.
Good luck with the potential business.