Help troubleshooting hydraulics / controls: 763 only one direction

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Oukachiru

Hi all, Not much of a grease monkey but trying my best. We have an old 763 Bobcat. She was working fine about 2 weeks ago, but today when I go to use my Titan planetary auger I find it will only run in reverse - left toggle on the right joystick. Trigger and right toggle don't seem to do anything. I went and put on my Titan flail mower that has been under a lot of use recently and it again only runs in the one direction - its forward is the left toggle. It was going in its reverse (right toggle) just fine a week ago but I don't think I've had cause to go in reverse last few times out so not sure when it stopped working. Lift/tilt of the arms seem fine, as is steering and movement. Just the right toggle and trigger on the right joystick aren't responding. Anyway, question I'm hoping for some help with is where is the most likely place I should be starting to investigate? I don't know if it is the electronics in the joystick, some sort of valve in the hydraulics, some control input somewhere? Based on the symptoms described is there a good place to start looking? Thanks in advance -o

Bswwood

Swap the aux coils on top of the main valve body and see if the problem swaps sides. The coils are a silver gold color with red wires. Remove the nut on top and side the coil off. also check the wiring where it exits the drive lever tube and plugs into the main harness. Problem could be cobra head joystick, wiring, controller, coils, or in the stems which the coils are activating. Does the green light on the panel remain solid when working the aux?

OP
OP
O

Oukachiru

Swap the aux coils on top of the main valve body and see if the problem swaps sides. The coils are a silver gold color with red wires. Remove the nut on top and side the coil off. also check the wiring where it exits the drive lever tube and plugs into the main harness. Problem could be cobra head joystick, wiring, controller, coils, or in the stems which the coils are activating. Does the green light on the panel remain solid when working the aux?
I appreciate the guidance. I'll have to look up what half of that means, but you've given me and my wrench someplace to start. Appreciate it and will post again when I know more!

OP
OP
O

Oukachiru

Oh, and I have no green lights anywhere on my control panel, but if yellow lights are the same thing then everything remains solid yellow when operating.

OP
OP
O

Oukachiru

Ok. I did the following:

0. Did nothing. Result: Left toggle forward flail, right toggle does nothing.

1. Swapped the electrical leads to the coils, leaving the coils in place: Result: Left toggle does nothing, right toggle forward flail.

2. Returned electrical to original, switched coil poles. Result: Left toggle does nothing, right toggle forward flail.

I assume that taken together that means the wiring in the joystick is OK and that there is something wrong with one of the coils?

OP
OP
O

Oukachiru

Ok. I did the following:

0. Did nothing. Result: Left toggle forward flail, right toggle does nothing.

1. Swapped the electrical leads to the coils, leaving the coils in place: Result: Left toggle does nothing, right toggle forward flail.

2. Returned electrical to original, switched coil poles. Result: Left toggle does nothing, right toggle forward flail.

I assume that taken together that means the wiring in the joystick is OK and that there is something wrong with one of the coils?
Whelp, nope.

3. Returned coils and electrical to original configuration. Unplugged one coil. Result: Left toggle forward fail, right toggle nothing.

4. Swapped coils, swapped electrical. Result: Left toggle flail forward, right toggle nothing.

That means both coils themselves are good, joystick is good and the problem is inside the hydraulics itself?

Bswwood

Whelp, nope.

3. Returned coils and electrical to original configuration. Unplugged one coil. Result: Left toggle forward fail, right toggle nothing.

4. Swapped coils, swapped electrical. Result: Left toggle flail forward, right toggle nothing.

That means both coils themselves are good, joystick is good and the problem is inside the hydraulics itself?
I'm trying to follow. Using a meter ohm the coils. I'll have to check but I think they should ohm at 5-6 ohms.

Bswwood

I'm trying to follow. Using a meter ohm the coils. I'll have to check but I think they should ohm at 5-6 ohms.
I drew it out and wondering if step 2 the electrical was in normal position and not swapped. According to every other step I think the right stem is the problem.