Help- flywheel ring gear - is width important?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wateka

Can a skinnier/narrower flywheel ring gear work as a replacement?

The flywheel ring gear on my 853 has clearly sat in liquid for some time because 24 adjacent teeth out of the 117 teeth are corroded/rusted down to an unusable height. Corrosion is on the entire width of the teeth, so I cannot flip the ring gear to use the other side.

The Bobcat part is 6513662 and is available from Bobcat for $634.18. Ouch.

My measurements combined with much Google searching for "ring gears with 117 teeth" let me to a Hyster fork lift part 0195856 from Intella Parts that had virtually the same ID and OD dimensions for $53 delivered.

It arrived today and the issue is the width - see the pics - the Bobcat ring gear is 17.6mm and the Hyster is 12.4mm.

There is an aftermarket replacement for the Bobcat part number but the supplier (so I'm told) had their website hijacked and are months behind their orders.

My initial thought is to install the skinnier ring gear flush with the outside edge of the flywheel.

The question is do I use the Hyster part or wait for the aftermarket Bobcat part?
IMG_0640.jpeg

IMG_0641.jpeg

foton

I would say that the ID would have to be exact. If it does not fit hard it might spin when the starter engages it, I had one that was supposed to be correct for a 8n ford tractor reassembled every thing hit the starter and no turn over at the engine. Was spinning the ring gear on the flywheel had to split tractor and weld ring gear to flywheel, which I really did not want to do but it worked ,that was years ago and it is still fine,but I still did not like to do it.

Hotrod1830

Yes, a narrower ring gear will work. Judging by the photo of the old one, the starter gear wasnt engaging the full width anyway.
But you MUST make sure the ring gear is square and straight when you press it on. take a measurement of the new ring gear and make sure the inside diameter is slightly smaller than the original. reason I say this, is the original was pressed on for years and may not relax to the original inside diameter. You want that ring gear TIGHT. You will need to heat it to get it on. given the thinner diameter, it will need a greater press fit to remain in position.
If you can wait, I say wait. If you need it NOW, then go for it.

gearbox

You do not press on a ring gear . You heat it to 350 degrees and it will drop right over the flywheel .Hold it in place for a little bit and it will shrink to a tight fit . I change then all the time on VH4D Wisconson .

OP
OP
wateka

wateka

All good thoughts - thanks. As it turned out, the supply chain gods were looking out for me because I did find one full-size aftermarket ring gear for $154 delivered, courtesy of The Berns Company with part # 001147299.
IMG_0684.jpeg

OP
OP
wateka

wateka

The ring gear is on - I tried 350°F but that wasn't enough to let it slide on the flywheel so I bumped it up to 475°F which was the mid-point of the 853 Service Manual instructions.
"Clean the new ring gear and heat it to a temperature of 450–500°F (232–260°C)."
Worked like a charm.