Hello from Nova Scotia

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ZackaryMac

Hi guys & gals I bought a Case 1818 in November 2010 for home use, it had only 596hrs on it, came with original 5.70x15 skinny little tires, and a set of 27x8.50x15 (I think) tires and rims, with decent tread. I made a pair of ice chains for the narrow tires for winter use, using left over pieces of tractor ice chains (I work at a tractor dealer). It has the original 18hp Onan engine that likes gas, a widened bucket thats now 42". I made a set of forks that use regular forks and a mount that will hook to the Case version of quick attach this is equipped with. I adapted a angling 5' blade to fit on the end of the bucket for light snow removal, and adapted my 4' Lucknow PTO snowblower to also work on the quick attach, powered by a 13hp Honda clone (Hyspec) gas engine, for heavier snow. I like it a lot. It's my first skid steer, though I have used some a little before. It's great because now I have something for some digging and light landscaping, forks for moving junk...err, I mean stuff around, and I don't have to break my neck and back turning around to use the snowblower on the back of my little B6100 Kubota. I know it's small, but that's not all bad. At just over 3000 lbs with me in it, it won't sink out of sight on softer ground, it fits in really small places, and it's easy to move around. Since I'm not trying to make a living with it, the size isn't such an issue. Sure a bigger one will do more work faster, but when I have my little projects done quicker with a bigger machine, then what? I like the hand controls vs hands and feet. I've used the hands and feet, and find this better for me, especially with it's tiny wheelbase that keeps it rocking on rougher ground. I'm a small engine mechanic, worked in motorcycle shops for years, also on atv's, snowmobiles, watercraft, and boats. I like diesel engines, and even converted my S10 to diesel.

skidsteer.ca

Welcome aboard, sounds like you are well equiped. Might not be as fast as big one but for home use sure beats a wheel barrel, a shovel or a strong back.
Ken