Hello from iowa

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dantalian

Just stumbled across the forum when looking for information about a nightmare level project I just picked up. A bobcat 7753 that had a electrical fire. I was looking for a new project and got a great deal. So I picked it up. Actually got the motor to fire and it sounds healthy. Most hoses need to be replaced for sure, axle seals and pretty much all the rubber and plastic components. But the main pump looks good, drive motors look fine so we shall see how this goes was worth the $1200 for the motor alone.

Attachments

• 7644390A-B5AA-4AE2-9D72-A6D21054D7A5.jpeg
    7644390A-B5AA-4AE2-9D72-A6D21054D7A5.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Dantalian

Dantalian

Water pump, thermostat housing, front main seal, oil drain tube, fuel pump, fuel lines, starter solenoid and valve cover. All ruined but all replacement parts are now on the shelf. Going to pull the head off the upcoming week and check for any damage. It'll run, but since it's already out going to go over everything.
IMG_3036.jpeg

OP
OP
Dantalian

Dantalian

Cleaning is still in progress. Removed 5 5 gallon buckets full of mud, hydraulic oil soaked compost, essentially. Within the next three weeks, I will have it cleaned and painted. A ton of work for sure, but well worth it in the long run since I was able to find a parts machine and got everything plastic or rubber off it for mine. And I mean everything..
IMG_3371.jpeg

OP
OP
Dantalian

Dantalian

That is before stripping and cleaning. Nobody else wanted the machine because it looked so bad. And it would've been a ton of money to fix if I didn't find a part machine. I have four shelves full of every single hose, fan assembly, plastic component, exhaust, radiator, controls, bypass valve, etc. pretty much all the expensive things are already ready to go. Just have to use my limited free time to get it done.

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpeg
    IMG_2381.jpeg
    633 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Dantalian

Dantalian

Nice story to follow!

Welcome aboard, too!
Thanks, thought I may as well document some of the project. People tend to run the other direction very fast on fire damaged equipment but if you can find a parts machine and get a good price on everything you can really save a lot of money. I've rebuilt quite a few things over the years, prices are absolutely obscene these days on any skid steer in my area, you are looking at 15 to 25,000 for anything with accessory hydraulics even for a machine that has clearly been very well beat and has very high hours. Even if I put another 5k into this machine rebuilding everything it needs. I will still save $10,000 and know the condition of every bit of the unit.

cdmccul

What part of Iowa? I'm originally from Cedar Rapids. Lived in Iowa City, and the little blip of Watkins, too.

cdmccul

Nice! Been by your neck of the woods (across I80) many times. Love stopping at the big truck stop, but that's as close as I've been to blue grass. My little town I'm in now (Garrison, ND) is about the same population, but the closest real city to me is still 45 miles away.

OP
OP
Dantalian

Dantalian

I'm real close to the i80 truck stop. Love going out there to get food at grandmas diner right across from it. It's really difficult to find any sort of equipment project in this area, what comes up for sale goes high and fast. For example, I was looking at a case 1845C that needed a motor. It was for sale for 5000. The guy ended up selling it for nine buyers just kept offering more. Same model as the one I picked up a bobcat 7753 went for 11k just down the road and it needed a head. I spent about a year trying to find a project skid steer. Had numerous sell out from under me even with me paying full asking price. Even drove nearly 1000 miles one way, and had a guy sell it when I was half way there without even letting me know till I was there. Living in a heavy agricultural/ industrial area has a ton of upsides bud buying equipment/trucks you will pay heavily. Heck I sold my old 1845c for 21k

cdmccul

Exactly, I know what you mean on the equipment.

Back in tech school, we all took a trip, and stopped at the i80 stop.

As we loaded into the school van and began to leave, it was getting dark and the diner there had turned on the sign. Rather than it fully lighting up "Grandma's Kitchen", it had a burned out section of the sign. It clearly proclaimed "Grandma's itchen". Hahaha that even got a giggle out of the near-retirement instructor!